Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Early works to 1800
|Named Person:||Adam, (Biblical figure); Eve, (Biblical figure); Abel, (Biblical figure); Cain, (Biblical figure); Abel, (Biblical figure); Adam, (Biblical figure); Cain, (Biblical figure); Eve, (Biblical figure)|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Michael Wolgemut; Wilhelm Pleydenwurff; Anton Koberger; Hartmann Schedel
|Notes:||Title from descriptive label on inside of front cover of storage volume. Full text: "A leaf from an authentic copy of the famous Nuremburg Chronicle of 1493, one of the most celebrated and best illustrated incunabula; text by Hartmann Schedel, noted humanist; woodcuts by Michael Wolgemut, master of Durer, and Wilhelm Pleydenwurff."
Woodcut illustration on recto depicts Adam hunting and Eve nursing either Abel or Cain, with the other childing watching; illustrations on verso depict the sacrifices of Cain and Abel, the slaying of Abel by Cain, and in the center the lineage of Christ between the two columns of text.
Running title at head of text on recto side of "Foliu[m] IX: "Etas prima mundi"; on verso side: "Prima etas ... mu[n]di", with "Linea Cristi" in middle.
Gothic print; ornamental initials.
View of signature cut off from framed area.
Framed leaf stored in pocket of storage volume (60 cm.).
|Description:||1 sheet ( p.) : ill. (woodcuts) ; [47?] cm., in frame 58 x 40 cm.|
- World history -- Early works to 1800.
- Chronology, Historical -- Early works to 1800.
- Adam -- (Biblical figure) -- Art.
- Eve -- (Biblical figure) -- Art.
- Abel -- (Biblical figure) -- Art.
- Cain -- (Biblical figure) -- Art.
- Incunabula -- Specimens.
- Wood-engraving, German -- Specimens.
- Wood-engraving -- 15th century -- Specimens.
- Abel -- (Biblical figure)
- Adam -- (Biblical figure)
- Cain -- (Biblical figure)
- Eve -- (Biblical figure)
- Chronology, Historical.
- Wood-engraving, German.
- World history.