Handbooks and manuals
Handbooks, manuals, etc
Mary Morris Heiberger; Julia Miller Vick
|描述：||viii, 227 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|内容：||I. What you should know before you start --
1. The structure of academic careers --
2. Hiring from the institution's point of view --
II. Planning and timing your search --
3. Becoming a job candidate: The timetable for your search --
4. Deciding where and when to apply --
5. The importance of advisors and professional networks --
6. Conference presentations and networking --
7. Letters of recommendation --
8. Learning about openings --
III. Written materials for the search: Suggestions and samples --
9. Responding to position announcements --
10. Vitas --
11. Additional application materials --
12. Web sites --
13. Job hunting correspondence --
IV. Conducting the search --
14. Interviewing --
15. Off-site interviews: Conference/convention and telephone interviews --
16. Campus interviews --
17. Job offers, negotiations, acceptances, and rejections --
18. Additional considerations --
V. After you take the job --
19. Starting the job --
20. Knowing about and getting tenure --
21. Changing jobs --
VI. Thinking about the expanded job market --
22. Thinking about the expanded job market --
1. National job listing sources and scholarly and professional associations --
2. Additional reading.
|責任：||Mary Morris Heiberger and Julia Miller Vick.|
Provides specific advice on all aspects of job-seeking in an increasingly tight academic market, from the appropriate timetable for the application process, to illegal or odd interview questions, to negotiating offers, starting a new job, seeking tenure, and everything in between. New information in the third edition includes more examples and advice for candidates in scientific and technical fields, as well as more references for those applying for adjunct positions and to community colleges. A new chapter and some of the all-new sample written materials reflect the reality that many new Ph. D.s are considering career options outside academia. The sample materials also include more examples of the "teaching philosophies" now commonly asked for in job ads. This edition offers expanded information on internet search methods and more examples of useful websites.
- College teachers -- Employment -- United States -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- College teachers -- Selection and appointment -- United States -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- College teachers -- Employment.
- College teachers -- Selection and appointment.
- United States.
- Professeurs (enseignement supérieur) -- Travail -- États-Unis.