Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Orville L Freeman; Mohammed Reza Pahlavi; Julius M Nolte; Floyd Björnstjerne Olson; Maria Louise Sanford; Thomas H Swain|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||Minnesota Statehood Centennial Commission.|
|Notes:||Note to Researcher: These files include information on almost all topics relating to the Centennial; the box list should be consulted for further content data.|
|Description:||4.75 cu. ft. (4 boxes and 1 half-height oversize box)|
These files document all aspects of the organizational and administrative functions of the Commission, including Commission and executive committee minutes (October 1955 - February 1959); the Commission's 1957, 1958, and 1959 reports to the Legislature; files of J.M. Nolte, who was an author of the original proposal to the 1955 Legislature and a member of the Commission (1954-1959); and project files and a scrapbook kept by Swain (1955-1959, 1983).
The project files are arranged alphabetically by subject and contain correspondence, legislation, progress reports, brochures, contracts, publicity, programs, photographs, minutes, budgets, certificates, radio and television scripts, clippings, the Commission's 1957 and 1958 Christmas cards, the Centennial Bulletin (1956-1958), and a congratulatory telegram from President Dwight D. Eisenhower (1957). They cover a broad range of topics including the Midwest Business Opportunities Exhibit and Centennial Achievement Display, county celebrations and fairs, Dan Patch horse races, the Festival of Nations, Fort Snelling restoration, historic tour program, commemorative certificates and souvenirs, Hospitality Week, international/distinguished guests, Floyd B. Olson and Maria L. Sanford statues, Parade of the Century, pioneer recognition, Miss Centennial Minnesota, the Governor's 1957 Scandinavian goodwill tour, the Shah of Iran's visit, Statehood Week, Centennial Train, transportation logistics, Minnesota airing of Queen for a Day and the TODAY Show, and the official Centennial commemorative plaque, calendar, emblem, float, slogan, song, and stamp. There are also files covering the Commission's relationship with the Minnesota Historical Society, Minnesota Editorial Association, Vernon Pope agency, Minnesota Territorial Pioneers, United States Information Agency, and the University of Minnesota.
The scrapbook was presented to Swain by his staff and documents all aspects of the Centennial, including the Festival of Nations, Fort Snelling, Centennial Showboat, historic tours, Maria L. Sanford statue commemoration, Centennial stamp, and the World Health Organization. It contains letters of appreciation, proclamations, commemorative programs, newspaper articles, brochures, and photographs. Due to its deteriorating condition, the scrapbook was photocopied and dismantled in 2003. All original materials, other than newspaper clippings, were retained and filed with the appropriate photocopied page.
- Freeman, Orville L.
- Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, -- 1919-
- Nolte, Julius M. -- (Julius Mosher), -- 1894-1964.
- Olson, Floyd Björnstjerne, -- 1891-1936 -- Statues -- Minnesota -- Saint Paul.
- Sanford, Maria Louise, -- 1836-1920 -- Statues -- Washington (D. C.)
- Swain, Thomas H.
- Midway National Bank (Saint Paul, Minn.)
- Minnesota Centennial Showboat.
- Minnesota Centennial Train.
- Minnesota Editorial Association.
- Minnesota. -- Governor (1955-1961 : Freeman) -- Travel.
- Minnesota Historical Society.
- Minnesota Territorial Pioneers (Organization)
- Miss Centennial Minnesota Pageant.
- United States Information Agency.
- University of Minnesota.
- World Health Organization.
- Centennial bulletin.
- Agricultural exhibitions -- Minnesota.
- Agriculture -- Minnesota -- History.
- Arts -- Minnesota -- History.
- Business enterprises -- Minnesota -- History.
- Citizen advisory committees -- Minnesota.
- Commemorative postage stamps -- Minnesota.
- Diplomatic and consular service -- Scandinavia.
- Diplomatic etiquette -- Minnesota.
- Education -- Minnesota -- History.
- Government etiquette -- Minnesota.
- Hospitality industry -- Minnesota.
- Industries -- Minnesota -- History.
- Libraries -- Minnesota.
- Parades -- Minnesota.
- Pioneers -- Minnesota.
- Royal visitors -- Minnesota.
- Sports -- Minnesota -- History.
- Tourism -- Minnesota.
- Visits of state -- Minnesota.
- Volunteers -- Minnesota.
- Women -- Minnesota -- History.
- Youth -- Minnesota -- History.
- Fort Snelling (Minn.)
- Minnesota -- Centennial celebrations, etc. -- 1958.
- Minnesota -- History, Military.
- Minnesota -- Law and legislation -- Centennial celebrations, etc. -- 1958.
- Minnesota -- Religion -- History.