Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Personal narratives, American
Personal narratives, Confederate
|Named Person:||William Riddick Whitehead; William Riddick Whitehead; William Riddick Whitehead|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
William Riddick Whitehead
"In the 1890s, William Riddick Whitehead M.D. put down on paper a memoir of his life and adventures as a surgeon in the Crimean War and for the Confederate Army during America's Civil War. The completed manuscript is dated September 15, 1902. Dr. Whitehead sent the manuscript to a safety deposit box in Denver just before his death one month later, according to an obituary in the local newspapers. In 1984, the manuscript was found in an old safe in that city, but its existence was not brought to the attention of his descendants until 1998. The manuscript was returned to the family in 2002. This book is a photocopy of Dr. Whitehead's original manuscript, which was never published. It has been produced by Karen McComas, Dr. Whitehead's great-granddaughter, and by Frances Ross, a collateral descendant of Dr. Whitehead."--Foreword.
Original title: Life and experiences of an American surgeon : including experiences in Sevastapol during the Crimean War, etc., etc.
|Description:||1 volume (approximately 450 pages) : illustrations, portraits, maps ; 29 cm|
|Other Titles:||Life and experiences of an American surgeon|
|Responsibility:||William Riddick Whitehead.|
- Whitehead, William Riddick, -- 1831-1902.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army. -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 44th.
- Université de Paris. -- Faculté de médecine.
- University of Virginia. -- Department of Medicine.
- University of Virginia -- Students.
- Virginia Military Institute -- Students.
- Crimean War, 1853-1856 -- Participation, American.
- Crimean War, 1853-1856 -- Personal narratives, American.
- Crimean War, 1853-1856 -- Medical care.
- Surgeons -- United States -- Biography.
- Fort McHenry (Baltimore, Md.)
- Sevastopolʹ (Ukraine) -- History -- Siege, 1854-1855.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons.
- Confederate States of America -- Army. -- Virginia Infantry Regiment, 44th.
- Université de Paris -- Faculté de médecine.
- University of Virginia -- Department of Medicine.
- Military Medicine -- history.
- United States.
- Whitehead, William Riddick, -- 1831-1902
- University of Virginia.
- Virginia Military Institute.
- Medical care.
- Military participation -- American.
- Maryland -- Baltimore -- Fort McHenry.
- Ukraine -- Sevastopolʹ