Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Advice for new faculty members.
Boston : Allyn and Bacon, ©2000
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||xiv, 319 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Introduction: Why new professors need timely advice --
Moderate work at teaching. Wait ; Begin before feeling ready ; Prepare and present in brief, regular sessions ; Stop ; Moderate overattachment and overreaction ; Moderate negative thinking and strong emotions ; Let others do some of the work ; Moderate classroom incivilities ; Summary and extension of the nihil nimus approach to teaching --
Write in mindful ways. Wait ; Begin writing early (before feeling ready) ; Work with constancy and moderation ; Stop ; Work with balance ; Let go of negative thoughts ; Moderate emotions ; Moderate attachments ; Let others do some of the work ; Limit wasted effort ; Summary and extension of the mindful ways of writing --
Socialize and serve with compassion. Learn about academic culture early, patiently ; Let others do some of the work ; Combine self-service with service for others.
- College teachers -- United States.
- College personnel management -- United States.
- Professional socialization -- United States.
- Faculty -- organization & administration -- United States.
- Professional Role.
- Whitman College -- Center for Teaching and Learning collection.
- College personnel management.
- College teachers.
- Professional socialization.
- United States.
User lists with this item (8)
- IC Faculty Development Library(179 items)
by ICFDLibrary updated about a month ago
- Things to Check Out(2 items)
by veenst updated 2012-11-27
- Self-Compassion_Burris(164 items)
by kathyburris updated 2012-06-20
- Classroom Management - Further Resources(5 items)
by PhillipMEdwards updated 2011-08-04
- CTL(21 items)
by ssagm2 updated 2010-10-22