Angela Bassett; Orlando Bagwell; Susan Bellows; Steve Fayer; Bernice Johnson Reagon; Charles Johnson; WGBH Video (Firm)
|注意：||Originally broadcast on PBS in 1998.
Related to: Africans in America : America's journey through slavery / Charles Johnson, Patricia Smith, WGBH Series Research Team. -- New York : Harcourt Brace, c1998.
Special features: Chapter search ; 2 songs from the Africans in America soundtrack.
|制作人员：||Director of photography, Michael Chin; editor, Chuck Scott; music score, Bernice Johnson Reagon; associate producer, Patricia Garcia Rios.|
|演员：||Narrator: Angela Bassett.|
|描述：||1 videodisc (ca. 180 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.|
|内容：||pt. 3. Brotherly love (90 min.) --
pt. 4. Judgement day (90 min.).
America's journey through slavery.
|责任：||a production of WGBH Boston ; executive producer, Orlando Bagwell ; writer, Steve Fayer.|
A four part series portraying the struggles of the African people in America, from the 1600s to the last days before the Civil War. Part 3: During the first 50 years of the new nation, freedmen and fugitive slaves pushed the country to live up to the promises made in its Constitution. But with the invention of the cotton gin, slavery expanded into America's western frontier, and a revolution in Haiti inspired slave rebellions throughout the southern United States. Part 4: As America expanded westward slavery became the most divisive issue in American life. Abolitionists struggled to bring the institution down and the nation was tested as never before. When tensions over slavery erupted into violence, Americans were forced to consider how long the country could continue as a democracy built on the profits of bondage.
- Slavery -- United States -- History.
- African Americans -- History -- 19th century.
- Slavery -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Slavery -- Economic aspects -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Slavery -- United States -- Public opinion -- History -- 19th century.
- Slave insurrections -- Haiti.
- Antislavery movements -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Slaves -- Emancipation -- United States.
- Abolitionists -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Slavery -- United States -- Extension to territories.
- Constitutional law -- United States -- Philosophy.
- Slave insurrections -- United States.
- Sectionalism (U.S.)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Causes.
- United States -- Territorial expansion.
- United States -- History -- 1783-1865.