Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Dutch Charley Duane; Dutch Charley Duane|
|Material Type:||Biography, Government publication, State or province government publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Dutch Charley Duane; John Boessenecker
|Description:||xiv, 225 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||Introduction: The Violent Life of Charles P. Duane --
1. Gold Rush San Francisco --
2. Flush Times --
3. Hard Citizens --
4. Dueling in the Gold Rush --
5. A Bullet for James King of William --
6. "Cora and Casey are Hanged!" --
7. Captured by the Vigilantes --
8. Exiled to Panama and New York --
9. Judge Terry and the Vigilantes.
|Responsibility:||edited, with an introduction and notes, by John Boessenecker.|
"His memoir, originally printed in the San Francisco Examiner in 1881, was located and edited by John Boessenecker. Now published for the first time in book form, it reveals a charismatic ruffian who played many roles: gunfighter, fire chief, politician, shoulder-striker, bare-knuckle boxer, gambler, saloon keeper, and land squatter."--BOOK JACKET. "Boessenecker's introduction provides information that is crucial in judging the actions of the vigilantes who moved against Duane and his cohorts. At the same time, Against the Vigilantes is cultural history, filled with details about the fires that swept early San Francisco, prizefighting, dueling, and urban machine politics in the decade before the Civil War."--Jacket.
- Duane, Dutch Charley.
- Outlaws -- California -- San Francisco -- Biography.
- Politicians -- California -- San Francisco -- Biography.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- California -- San Francisco.
- San Francisco Committee of Vigilance of 1856.
- Criminal justice, Administration of -- California -- San Francisco -- History -- 19th century.
- San Francisco (Calif.) -- Politics and government -- 19th century.
- San Francisco (Calif.) -- Biography.
- California -- Gold discoveries.
- Criminal justice, Administration of.
- Frontier and pioneer life.
- Gold mines and mining.
- Politics and government
- California -- San Francisco.