Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Thomas A Edison; Thomas A Edison; Thomas Alva Edison; Thomas A Edison|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||354 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||Inventing Edison --
Inventing electric light --
Civic light --
Creative destruction: Edison and the gas companies --
Work light --
Leisure light --
Inventive nation --
Looking at inventions, inventing new ways of looking --
Inventing a profession --
The light of civilization --
Exuberance and order --
Illumination science --
Rural light --
Electric light's golden jubilee.
|Series Title:||Penguin history of American life.|
"The Age of Edison places the story of Edison's invention in the context of a technological revolution that transformed America and Europe in these decades. Edison and his fellow inventors emerged from a culture shaped by broad public education, a lively popular press that took an interest in science and technology, and an American patent system that encouraged innovation and democratized the benefits of invention. And in the end, as Freeberg shows, Edison's greatest invention was not any single technology, but rather his reinvention of the process itself. At Menlo Park he gathered the combination of capital, scientific training, and engineering skill that would evolve into the modern research and development laboratory. His revolutionary electrical grid not only broke the stronghold of gas companies, but also ushered in an era when strong, clear light could become accessible to everyone"--
- Technological innovations -- United States -- History.
- Technological innovations -- Social aspects -- United States -- History.
- Electric lighting -- United States -- History.
- Edison, Thomas A. -- (Thomas Alva), -- 1847-1931.
- Edison, Thomas A. -- (Thomas Alva), -- 1847-1931 -- Contemporaries.
- Edison, Thomas Alva, -- 1847-1931.
- HISTORY -- United States -- General.
- Edison, Thomas A. -- (Thomas Alva), -- 1847-1931
- Electric lighting.
- Technological innovations.
- Technological innovations -- Social aspects.
- United States.
- Technische vernieuwing.
- Sociale aspecten.
- Verenigde Staten.
User lists with this item (9)
- October 2014 New Books(358 items)
by CrownCollegeLibrary updated about 12 hours ago
- Civil and Environmental Engineering - New Books(365 items)
by UCBEngiLib updated about 2 days ago
- Jul 2014 Luria Library(73 items)
by SBCC-Library updated 2014-07-08
- itruong2014-04(42 items)
by itruong updated 2014-05-01
- Things to Check Out(164 items)
by vodreaux updated 2013-12-30