|提及的人：||George W Beebe; Henry Browne Blackwell; David J Brewer; Charles Curtis; J Ellen Foster; Charles S Gleed; George Washington Glick; Joseph W Gott; Edward Wallis Hoch; Albert H Horton; John James Ingalls; Laura M Johns; William Agnew Johnston; Cyrus Leland; Chester I Long; John A Martin; Sol Miller; Mary A Prescott; Anna Amelie Robertson; Charles Robinson; Balie Peyton Waggener|
Albert H Horton
|描述：||0.8 ft. (2 boxes ; 21 folders)|
|内容：||Ser. 1. Unbound letters and telegrams received ; indexes, 1872-1933 --
ser. 2. Bound letters received, 1892-1893.
|其他題名：||Letters and telegrams received
Some items deal with Horton's candidacy for the U.S. Senate, and others are condolences dated 1902 and sent to his widow. The strength of the collection is the letters that concentrate on the period 1892-1895 because of the important social issues and movements in Kansas at that time: women suffrage, prohibition, the emergence of the Populist Party, and the struggling agricultural economy. Horton had definite opinions on these issues, and they are reflected in his papers. He favored giving women the vote and was acquainted with the leading suffragettes and equal suffrage advocates. Judges were affiliated with a political party and its platform, and many notable Republicans of the day corresponded with Horton. Also included are letters pertaining to the attack on Horton by his opponent, John J. Ingalls, during the Senate race. Some of the correspondence are letters from family members to Horton. They depict the atmosphere of the extended Horton household which included 7 children upon his 2nd marriage. A weakness of this collection is the lack of responses from Horton to the correspondence he received.
- Beebe, George W.
- Blackwell, Henry Browne, -- 1825-1909.
- Brewer, David J. -- (David Josiah), -- 1837-1910.
- Curtis, Charles, -- 1860-1936.
- Foster, J. Ellen -- (Judith Ellen), -- 1840-
- Gleed, Charles S. -- (Charles Sumner), -- 1856-1920.
- Glick, George Washington, -- 1827-1911.
- Gott, Joseph W.
- Hoch, Edward Wallis, -- 1849-1925.
- Horton, Albert H. -- (Albert Howell), -- 1837-1902.
- Ingalls, John James, -- 1833-1900.
- Johns, Laura M.
- Johnston, William Agnew, -- 1848-1937.
- Leland, Cyrus, -- 1841-1917.
- Long, Chester I. -- (Chester Isaiah), -- 1860-1934.
- Martin, John A., -- 1839-1889.
- Miller, Sol -- (Solomon), -- 1831-1897.
- Prescott, Mary A.
- Robertson, Anna Amelie.
- Robinson, Charles, -- 1818-1894.
- Waggener, Balie Peyton, -- 1847-1918.
- Kansas. -- Supreme Court.
- Populist Party (Kan.)
- Republican Party (Kan.)
- Capital punishment -- Kansas.
- Judges -- Kansas.
- Legislators -- Kansas.
- Prohibition -- Kansas.
- Women -- Suffrage -- Kansas.
- Kansas -- Politics and government.