Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Cartes de visite
|Named Person:||Thomas Hart Benton; Salmon P Chase; Henry Clay; Thomas Corwin; Thomas T Davis; Thomas J Dryer; Sidney T Holmes; Washington Irving; Washington Irving; James Russell Lowell; G W Morgan; John A Nicholson; John G Nicolay; Samuel Osgood; Albert Pike; William Hickling Prescott; Roger A Pryor; Matías Romero; Joseph Story; Thurlow Weed; Martin Welker; Richard Yates|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Photograph, Picture|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Mathew B Brady; Brady's National Photographic Portrait Galleries.; E. Anthony (Firm),; E. & H.T. Anthony (Firm),; George S. Tolman (Firm)
|Notes:||Possible decade of production suggested by year that E. Anthony business moved to 501 Broadway, New York (May 1, 1860), and year that his brother Henry T. Anthony joined him in business (1862), and firm became known as E. and H.T. Anthony.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Album contains 39 carte de visite photographs (approx. 16.1 x 10.1 cm), consisting of paper photographs mounted on thin cardboard backs, with printed logo on verso: "Published by E. Anthony, 501 Broadway, N.Y. from photographic negative in Brady's National Portrait Gallery." Several portraits are simply signed "M.B. Brady & Co. National Photographic Portrait Galleries, No. 352 Penna. Avenue, Washington, D.C., and New York." Portraits are slipped into sleeves on recto and verso of 25 album leaves, in which a gilt-framed window has been cut. Eleven of the windows are empty.
Bound in 19th-century bevelled dark brown pebble-grain leather covers, panelled in blind; gilt spine panels, and gold-stamped spine title "Album" in gothic letters; two large ornamental brass clasps (half of the lower clasp missing); all edges gilt; textured white decorated endpapers.
Part of the Photograph Album Collection (Collection 94) in the Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, UCLA.
|Description:||1 album (39 photographic prints on carte de visite mounts) : albumen ; 17 x 13 cm (album)|
Most of the portraits are politicians of the era--governors, and U.S. congressmen and senators, such as Thomas Treadwell Davis, and Sidney T. Holmes, congressmen from New York; George Washington Morgan and Martin Welker, U.S. representatives from Ohio; Thomas Hart Benton, U.S. senator from Missouri; Richard Yates, governor, congressman, and senator from Illinois; John A. Nicholson, U.S. representative from Delaware; Roger A. Pryor, who served as Virginia's representative in both the U.S. and Confederate Congresses; Thomas Corwin, U.S. minister to Mexico, and representative to the Ohio and U.S. legislatures; and Henry Clay, who represented Kentucky in both House and Senate, and served as Secretary of State from 1825 to 1829. Other political figures include Salmon P. Chase, Secretary of the Treasury under Lincoln; and Thurlow Weed, newspaper publisher, politician, and party boss, instrumental in the nominations of many American presidential candidates, including Abraham Lincoln. Among the historians and literary figures represented are William Hickling Prescott, and John G. Nicolay, private secretary and biographer of Lincoln; the poet James Russell Lowell, and writer Washington Irving. Other portraits include those of Albert Pike, Confederate Army officer and influential Freemason; Samuel Osgood, Unitarian minister, and editor of the influential Transcendental journal "The Western Messenger;" U.S. Supreme Court justice Joseph Story; newspaper publisher and Western politician, Thomas Jefferson Dryer; and Matías Romero, Mexican minister to the U.S., and advisor to Porfirio Díaz. There is also a photograph of Washington Irving's home, Sunnyside, a little stone mansion with stepped gables in Tarrytown, N.Y. Although most of the photographs were published by the E. Anthony or E. and H.T. Anthony firms of New York City, at least one bears label of "Geo. S. Tolman Fancy Goods Warehouse, Boston" pasted over the E. Anthony logo.
- Benton, Thomas Hart, -- 1782-1858.
- Chase, Salmon P. -- (Salmon Portland), -- 1808-1873 -- Photographs.
- Clay, Henry, -- 1777-1852 -- Photographs.
- Corwin, Thomas, -- 1794-1865 -- Photographs.
- Davis, Thomas T. -- (Thomas Treadwell), -- 1810-1872 -- Photographs.
- Dryer, Thomas J. -- (Thomas Jefferson), -- 1810- -- Photographs.
- Holmes, Sidney T., -- 1815-1890 -- Photographs.
- Irving, Washington, -- 1783-1859 -- Photographs.
- Irving, Washington, -- 1783-1859 -- Homes and haunts -- Photographs.
- Lowell, James Russell, -- 1819-1891 -- Photographs.
- Morgan, G. W. -- (George Washington), -- 1820-1893 -- Photographs.
- Nicholson, John A. -- (John Anthony), -- 1827-1906 -- Photographs.
- Nicolay, John G. -- (John George), -- 1832-1901 -- Photographs.
- Osgood, Samuel, -- 1812-1880 -- Photographs.
- Pike, Albert, -- 1809-1891 -- Photographs.
- Prescott, William Hickling, -- 1796-1859 -- Photographs.
- Pryor, Roger A. -- (Roger Atkinson), -- 1828-1919 -- Photographs.
- Romero, Matías, -- 1837-1898 -- Photographs.
- Story, Joseph, -- 1779-1845 -- Photographs.
- Sunnyside (Tarrytown, N.Y.) -- Photographs.
- Weed, Thurlow, -- 1797-1882 -- Photographs.
- Welker, Martin, -- 1819- -- Photographs.
- Yates, Richard, -- 1815-1873 -- Photographs.
- Politicians -- United States -- Photographs.
- Historians -- United States -- Photographs.
- Judges -- United States -- Photographs.
- Cartes de visite photographs -- Specimens.