|類型/形式：||Criticism, interpretation, etc
|提及的人：||Charles Ives; Charles Ives; Charles Ives; Charles Ives; Charles Ives; Charles Ives; Charles Ives|
J Peter Burkholder
|ISBN:||0300056427 9780300056426 0300102127 9780300102123|
|描述：||xii, 554 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||1. Ives's Uses of Existing Music --
2. Emulating Models and Learning Musical Styles --
3. The Art of Paraphrase --
4. Modeling and Paraphrase in the First and Second Symphonies --
5. Cumulative Settings --
6. The Development and Significance of Cumulative Settings --
7. Modeling and Stylistic Allusion to Evoke a Style or Genre --
8. Patchwork and Extended Paraphrase --
9. Programmatic Quotation --
10. Quodlibet and Collage --
11. The Significance of Ives's Uses of Existing Music --
Index of Ives's Compositions.
|其他題名：||Charles Ives and the uses of musical borrowing|
|責任：||J. Peter Burkholder.|
Burkholder catalogues fourteen distinct ways that Ives borrowed, ranging from direct quotation to paraphrase, variation, collage, modeling, and stylistic allusion. Arguing that these borrowing procedures were compositional strategies, he provides a new perspective on Ives's process of composition. In addition, by tracing the development of Ives's borrowing practices through his career, Burkholder contributes to an understanding of the composer's stylistic evolution. And by showing how much of Ives's music uses borrowing procedures that are common to many composers, he reveals that Ives is not as far removed from the classic-romantic tradition as has been thought. Finally, Burkholder's comprehensive treatment of Ives's borrowing techniques offers a new perspective on the entire field of musical borrowing.
- Ives, Charles, -- 1874-1954 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Ives, Charles, -- 1874-1954 -- Sources.
- Quotation in music.
- Composition (Music)
- United States
- Ives, Charles, -- 1874-1954 -- Critique et interprétation.
- Ives, Charles.
- Ives, Charles, -- 1874-1954.