Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Claude Colleer Abbott; John Redwood Anderson; William Rose Benét; Randolph Silliman Bourne; Gerald Brenan; Gladys Brooks; Van Wyck Brooks; Mary Casey; Vere H Collins; Giovanni Costigan; Agnes de Lima; Sigrid de Lima; C G L Du Cann; Eve Elwin; Arthur Davison Ficke; Gladys Brown Ficke; Alyse Gregory; James G Gregory; Jean L Pinneo Gregory; Reynaldo Hahn; Evelyn Hardy; Laure Hayman, Mme.; Kenneth Hopkins; Derrick Leon; Rosemary Manning; Louis Marlow; William Q Maxwell; Henriette Metcalf; Edna St Vincent Millay; Marianne Moore; Marie Nordlinger; Lucy Powys Penny; Phyllis Playter; Geoffrey Potocki de Montalk, Count.; A R Powys; Gertrude M Powys; John Cowper Powys; Littleton Powys; Llewelyn Powys; Marian Powys; Philippa Powys; Theodore Francis Powys; William Powys; Marcel Proust; Marie Hippolyte Ponsin Rôze; Florida Scott-Maxwell; Elizabeth Shepley Sergeant; Scofield Thayer; Sylvia Townsend Warner; Hildegarde Lasell Watson; James Sibley Jr Watson; Joan Lambert Wilkinson; Louis Wilkinson; Oliver Marlow Wilkinson; Gamel Woolsey; Gregory family.; Pinneo family.; Powys family.|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Manuscript|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Book, Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Alyse Gregory; Edna St Vincent Millay; John Cowper Powys; Llewelyn Powys; Doris Ulmann
|Description:||33.41 linear ft. (78 boxes) + 1 portfolio.|
The collection consists chiefly of correspondence, with smaller amounts of diaries, writings, notebooks, artworks, photographs, and other personal papers. Also present are papers of others closely associated with Gregory, including papers of Llewelyn Powys; writings of John Cowper Powys and Edna St. Vincent Millay; and diaries of Gertrude Powys. Accompanying these is a small amount of correspondence and notes of Rosemary Manning, concerning Gregory's papers.
Series I, Correspondence, concerns Gregory's wide range of friendships and intellectual interests. Correspondence is present for Llewelyn Powys, all of the Powys siblings, and many of their spouses and children. Extensive files are present for John Cowper Powys, Phyllis Playter, Gamel Woolsey, Claude Colleer Abbott, and Valentine Ackland.
Most letters date from after Llewelyn Powys's death; also present is earlier correpondence concerning Gregory's social reform and literary career in New York, including letters from Randolph Bourne, Scofield Thayer, James Sibley Watson, Jr., and Marianne Moore. Family correspondence includes letters of Gregory, her mother Jean L. Pinneo Gregory, and other members of the Gregory and Pinneo families.
Series II, Diaries, includes a diary with brief entries for 1925-1926, followed by volumes with continuous and extensive entries from 1930 through the last day of Gregory's life. Transcripts edited by Gregory include holograph extracts from earlier diaries, 1910-1920s, for which originals are not present. Series III, Writings, consists chiefly of drafts and clippings of essays. Also present are a biography of Randolph Bourne, an unfinished novel, short stories, reviews of Gregory's books, and book reviews written by her. Series IV, Notebooks, contains notes pertaining to literary and philosophic subjects.
Series V, Photographs, contains an album made during Gregory's early travels in Europe, ca. 1905; an album made by unidentified travelers during a cruise to Indonesia, ca. 1920; a portrait of Gregory and Marianne Moore made by Doris Ulmann; photographs of many of Gregory's correspondents; several photographs of Laure Hayman, a friend of Marcel Proust; and family photographs sent to Gregory by James Sibley Watson, Jr., during the 1950s-60s. Series VI, Artworks, includes engravings by Robert Gibbings and Stephen Gooden and reproductions of portraits of several of Gregory's correspondents.
Series VII, Clippings and Other Printed Material, includes clippings by and about correspondents, Gregory and Llewelyn Powys, and the Gregory family. Series VIII, Other Alyse Gregory Papers, includes documents relating to the deaths of Gregory and Powys, and other personal papers.
Series IX, Papers of Others Held by Alyse Gregory, includes correspondence, diaries, and essays of Llewelyn Powys, many transcribed by Gregory; poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay sent by Millay to Powys; and writings of John Cowper Powys, most pertaining to Llewelyn. Series X, Rosemary Manning Papers, consists of correspondence, notes, and clippings concerning Gregory, her papers, and the Powys family.
- Abbott, Claude Colleer, -- 1889-1971.
- Anderson, John Redwood, -- 1883-1964.
- Benét, William Rose, -- 1886-1950.
- Bourne, Randolph Silliman, -- 1886-1918.
- Brenan, Gerald.
- Brooks, Gladys.
- Brooks, Van Wyck, -- 1886-1963.
- Casey, Mary.
- Collins, Vere H. -- (Vere Henry), -- 1872-1966.
- Costigan, Giovanni, -- 1905-1990.
- de Lima, Agnes.
- de Lima, Sigrid.
- Du Cann, C. G. L. -- (Charles Garfield Lott), -- 1889-
- Elwin, Eve.
- Ficke, Arthur Davison, -- 1883-1945.
- Ficke, Gladys Brown, -- 1890-1973.
- Gregory, Alyse, -- 1884-1967.
- Gregory, James G., -- d. 1932.
- Gregory, Jean L. Pinneo.
- Hahn, Reynaldo, -- 1875-1947.
- Hardy, Evelyn, -- 1902-
- Hayman, Laure, -- Mme., -- 1851-
- Hopkins, Kenneth.
- Leon, Derrick, -- 1908-1944.
- Manning, Rosemary.
- Marlow, Louis, -- 1881-1966.
- Maxwell, William Q.
- Metcalf, Henriette.
- Millay, Edna St. Vincent, -- 1892-1950.
- Moore, Marianne, -- 1887-1972.
- Nordlinger, Marie, -- 1876-1961.
- Penny, Lucy Powys.
- Playter, Phyllis.
- Potocki de Montalk, Geoffrey, -- Count.
- Powys, A. R. -- (Albert Reginald), -- 1881-1936.
- Powys, Gertrude M. -- (Gertrude Mary)
- Powys, John Cowper, -- 1872-1963.
- Powys, Littleton, -- 1874-1955.
- Powys, Llewelyn, -- 1884-1939.
- Powys, Marian, -- 1882-1972.
- Powys, Philippa.
- Powys, Theodore Francis, -- 1875-1953.
- Powys, William.
- Proust, Marcel, -- 1871-1922.
- Rôze, Marie Hippolyte Ponsin.
- Scott-Maxwell, Florida, -- 1883-1979.
- Sergeant, Elizabeth Shepley, -- 1881-1965.
- Thayer, Scofield, -- 1889-1982.
- Warner, Sylvia Townsend, -- 1893-1978.
- Watson, Hildegarde Lasell, -- -1976.
- Watson, James Sibley, Jr.
- Wilkinson, Joan Lambert.
- Wilkinson, Louis, -- 1881-1966.
- Wilkinson, Oliver Marlow.
- Woolsey, Gamel.
- Gregory family.
- Pinneo family.
- Powys family.
- Dial (Chicago, Ill.)
- American literature -- 20th century.
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Archives.
- English literature -- 20th century.
- Social movements -- United States.
- Women authors, American -- 20th century.
- Women -- Suffrage -- United States.
- Davos (Switzerland)
- Devon (England) -- Social life and customs.
- Dorset (England) -- Social life and customs.
- Indonesia -- Description and travel.
- Norwalk (Conn.)