Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Criticism, interpretation, etc
|Named Person:||Amelia Peabody, (Fictitious character)|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Elizabeth Peters; Kristen Whitbread
|Description:||334 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.|
|Contents:||Preface / Elizabeth Peters --
The Emerson era: I : the historical background to the journals. A splendid overview of Egyptology: Napoleon to World War I / Dennis Forbes ; A commanding perspective: the British in Egypt, 1884-1917 / Jocelyn Gohary --
Pictorial essay: The Emerson's bane: tourists along the Nile --
The Emerson era: II : the cultural background to the journals. An expert analysis of the principles of Islam as encountered by the Emersons / Salima Ikram ; Pictorial essay: The art & architecture of Islam ; "Lesser breeds without the law": an insightful diatribe on the Victorian attitude towards other cultures & peoples / Barbara Mertz ; Upstairs, downstairs: a skillful overview of Victorian servants & their duties / Margareta Knauff ; From parlor to pyramid: a scholarly study of Amelia Peabody Emerson & the women's movement / Elizabeth Foxwell ; A specialized indulgence: Amelia Peabody Emerson & the evolution of fashion, 1884-1915 / Florence Rutherford ; Seen but not heard: a sympathetic scrutiny of the Victorian philosophy of childrearing / Margareta Knauff ; Modern inconveniences: a scientific investigation of technological developments in the Emerson era / Lisa Speckhardt ; Musical heritage: an adept discussion of the musical repertoire of the Emerson family / Kristen Whitbread ; The best of wonder: an authoritative analysis of Victorian popular fiction / Barbara Michaels ; Pictorial essay: Victorian visions of ancient Egypt --
People, places & things: a handy reference to the journals. The people of the journals (& a few animals, too) ; Up & down the Nile (& other places, as well ; Words you may not find in Webster (foreign words & phrases) ; Introducing some ancient Egyptians (human & divine) ; Pictorial essay: Egypt & the Egyptians as the Emersons knew them ; Ancient Egyptian texts referred to in the journals ; The wit & wisdom of Amelia Peabody Emerson (& some others) ; Ancient Egypt 101: a quick refresher course / Betty Winkelman.
|Responsibility:||preface by Elizabeth Peters ; edited by Elizabeth Peters & Kristen Whitbread ; designed by Dennis Forbes ; contributions by numerous authors.|
- Peabody, Amelia -- (Fictitious character)
- Detective and mystery stories, American -- History and criticism.
- Historical fiction, American -- History and criticism.
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- Egypt.
- Women detectives in literature.
- Antiquities in literature.
- Archaeology in literature.
- Egypt -- In literature.
- Egyptology -- Miscellanea.
- Egyptology -- Great Britain -- Miscellanea.
- Detective and mystery stories, American.
- Excavations (Archaeology)
- Historical fiction, American.
- Peabody, Amelia (Fictitious character)
- Great Britain.
- Mystery fiction -- History and criticism.
- Historical fiction -- History and criticism.
- Excavations (Archeology) -- Egypt.