Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Highsmith, Carol M., 1946-
Washington, D.C. : Preservation Press, National Trust for Historic Preservation, ©1994
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Carol M Highsmith; Ted Landphair
|Description:||320 pages : color illustrations ; 29 cm|
|Responsibility:||Carol M. Highsmith and Ted Landphair ; photographs by Carol M. Highsmith.|
An informative introduction explains why these and so many other sites and places have been restored and discusses the forces that have contributed to recent American preservation.
Here are represented recognizable and grand spaces, such as Ellis Island in New York Harbor and the Chicago Theater, as well as small and intimate places, such as the Dowse Sod House in Nebraska and Saint Philomena Church in Hawaii. And more than beautiful pictures are captured: Each site has a special story to tell. Grand schemes led to the creation of Cleveholm Castle in Colorado, while an especially creative solution to a space problem helped to establish the Custer County Art Center in Montana.
One woman's determined and sturdy dedication brought about the Frontier Nursing Service in Kentucky which continues to serve mountain women in need. These and many other stories provide a moving and informative text that captures the human drama surrounding the restoration of these landmarks some for a new use and others so they might continue as before.
. Highsmith and Landphair have documented the incredible groundswell of preservation that has taken place in the United States over the past few years, and their work attests to our national spirit and the increasing recognition by all Americans of the need for a sense of place.
- Historic buildings -- United States.
- Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration -- United States.
- Historic buildings -- United States -- Pictorial works.
- Architecture -- United States.
- Architecture -- Conservation and restoration -- United States.
- Architecture -- United States -- Pictorial works.
- Monuments historiques -- États-Unis.
- Monuments historiques -- Conservation et restauration -- États-Unis.
- Monuments historiques -- États-Unis -- Ouvrages illustrés.
- Architecture -- États-Unis.
- Architecture -- Conservation et restauration -- États-Unis.
- Architecture -- États-Unis -- Ouvrages illustrés.
- Architecture -- Conservation and restoration.
- Historic buildings.
- Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration.
- United States.
- Historic buildings -- Conservation.