Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||G T Beauregard; Braxton Bragg; Atcheson Laughlin Hench; G P R James; Andrew Johnson; Isaac D Jones; James Joyce; John Leeds Kerr; Joseph Wood Krutch; Benjamin Henry Latrobe; Robert E Lee; William Merrick; James Alfred Pearce; William P Preble; Alexander Randall; Eleazer Wheelock Ripley; Augustus Rhodes Sollers; Richard C Talbott; Samuel Turner|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
G T Beauregard; John Cullen Bryant; Joseph Hodges Choate; James McCormick Dalzell; Beverley Dandridge; William Jenner; Henry Arthur Jones; Thomas Jordan; Stephen James Joyce; John Pendleton Kennedy; Joseph Wood Krutch; John Lane; Mary Elizabeth Hazlehurst Latrobe; Fitzhugh Lee; Richard Henry Lee; Benjamin Watkins Leigh; John Letcher; David Ross Locke; Anne Longfellow; Marianne Preble Longfellow; John Livingston Lowes; John Lubbock, Sir; Dolley Madison; William Mervine; J John Munson; James Brown Scott; Annie J Statin; Edward L Welles; Henry A Wise
|Notes:||Forms part of the Atcheson L. Hench Autograph Collection.|
|Description:||approximately 33 items.|
Modern autographs collected by Hench include letters by associates of Edgar Allan Poe; Civil War letters; papers relating to Virginia history; correspondence of writers and politicians, particularly from the Victorian era; and other miscellaneous correspondence with literary or histocial interest.
Letters of John Jules Jusserand to William Henry Irwin and James Brown Scott and others discuss Irwin's voyage, a recent address, and Jusserand's departure for France after many years in the United States "a country he had learned to love and admire in peace and wartime."
John Pendleton Kennedy papers include a letter to Captain William Mervine, 1852, granting leave; a letter to Annie J. Statin, 1861, concerning a genealogical inquiry ; a letter to Edward L. Welles, 1853, sending his autograph; a letter signed with other Congressman, recomending Samuel Turner of Boston for a position; a letter, 1860, to an insurance company about a planned house addition; an undated autograph and a 1943 newsclipping about him.
Fitzhugh Lee writes to John Cullen Bryant, 1902, about a photograph and to J[ames?] M[cCormick?] Dalzell, 1885, declining to attend a reunion.
John Livingston Lowes writes to Atcheson Hench about various Coleridge items for sale, 1027-1929.
Single letters of interest include Sir William Jenner declining an invitation; Henry Arthur Jones to Joseph Hodeges Choate on tours of "Blenheim"; and a lengthy letter from Thomas Jordan to P.G.T. Beauregard regarding the possibility of a book on Beauregard's Civil War operations and discussing his action at several battles particularly Shiloh, and Petersburg, and criticizing the actions of Robert E. Lee at Fredericksburg, and Cold Harbor, and Braxton Bragg at Chickamauga.
Also Joseph Wood Krutch to J. John Munson on his biography of Edgar Allan Poe; Mary Elizabeth Latrobe to Dolley Madison on her life in Pittsburg in 1812; Richard Henry Lee conveying orders of General Ripley, 1815; Benjamin Watkins Leigh to Henry A. Wise about the 1839 Whig National Convention; John Letcher to Henry A. Wise regarding the dismissal of Wise's son from the Virginia Military Institute; David Ross Locke (Petroleum V. Nasby) sending regrets; Marianne Preble Longfellow[Fuller] to Anne Longfellow [Pierce] on a journey to New York with her father William Pitt Preble; and John Lubbock advising P. O'Callagnan on Athenaeum Club election.
The collection also contains an autograph of George Payne Rainsford James; a safe passage order for Richard C. Talbott signed by Andrew Johnson, 1865; a schoolboy paper by Stephen J. Joyce on his grandfather James Joyce; a signed receipt from Beverley Dandridge to Frederick Kitt "to purchase sundries for the President's household"; and a speech of John Lane on the publishing and collecting world of his youth.
- Beauregard, G. T. -- (Gustave Toutant), -- 1818-1893.
- Bragg, Braxton, -- 1817-1876.
- Hench, Atcheson Laughlin, -- 1891-1974,
- James, G. P. R. -- (George Payne Rainsford), -- 1801?-1860.
- Johnson, Andrew, -- 1808-1875 -- Autographs.
- Jones, Isaac D. -- (Isaac Dashiell), -- 1806-1893 -- Autographs.
- Joyce, James, -- 1882-1941.
- Kerr, John Leeds, -- 1780-1844 -- Autographs.
- Krutch, Joseph Wood, -- 1893-1970. -- Edgar Allan Poe, a study in genius.
- Latrobe, Benjamin Henry, -- 1764-1820.
- Lee, Robert E. -- (Robert Edward), -- 1807-1870.
- Merrick, William, -- 1818-1889 -- Autographs.
- Pearce, James Alfred, -- 1805-1862 -- Autographs.
- Preble, William P. -- (William Pitt), -- 1783-1857.
- Randall, Alexander, -- 1803-1881 -- Autographs.
- Ripley, Eleazer Wheelock, -- 1782-1839.
- Sollers, Augustus Rhodes, -- 1814-1862 -- Autographs.
- Talbott, Richard C., -- active 1865.
- Turner, Samuel, -- active 1841.
- Blenheim Palace (England) -- Description and travel.
- Pittsburgh (Pa.) -- Description and travel.