Trova una copia in biblioteca
Stiamo ricercando le biblioteche che possiedono questo documento…
|Informazioni aggiuntive sul format:||Online version:
Lowney, John, 1957-
American avant-garde tradition.
Lewisburg, Pa. : Bucknell university Press ; London ; Cranbury, NJ : Associated University Presses, c1997
|Persona incaricata:||William Carlos Williams; William Carlos Williams|
|Tutti gli autori / Collaboratori:||
|Descrizione:||175 p. ; 24 cm.|
|Contenuti:||Introduction: canon formation, avant-gardism, and William Carlos Williams's literary reputation --
"A plot of ground": Williams's poetics of descent --
"To witness the words being born": Williams's poetics of dissent --
"Pure products": imitation, affiliation, and the politics of female creativity in Denise Levertov's poetry --
"Going to sleep with quandariness": the "post-anti-esthetic" poetics of Frank O'Hara --
"Words we have learned not to look at": George Oppen and Cold-War American culture.
Williams's commitment to experimentation and the destruction of traditional forms allies his poetics with the critical stance of the international avant-garde. His writing is especially sensitive, however, to linguistic registers of social difference in the United States. Focusing especially on Williams's early experimentation with poetic form, through Spring and All, but also on his critical and imaginative prose, such as In the American Grain, this book argues that two contingent rhetorical motives structure his response to cultural change: what Lowney calls the "poetics of descent" and the "poetics of dissent."
- Williams, William Carlos, -- 1883-1963 -- Technique.
- Politics and literature -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- American poetry -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
- Experimental poetry, American -- History and criticism.
- Williams, William Carlos, -- 1883-1963 -- Influence.
- Postmodernism (Literature) -- United States.
- Avant-garde (Aesthetics) -- United States.
- Influence (Literary, artistic, etc.) -- History -- 20th century.
- Canon (Literature)