Barbara Haskell; Whitney Museum of American Art.
|ISBN:||0393047237 9780393047233 0874271223 9780874271225|
|注意：||Published on the occasion of the exhibition ... held at the Whitney Museum of American Art, part I, 1900-1950 is on view from April 23 to August 22, 1999 and part II, 1950-2000 is on view from September 26, 1999 to January 23, 2000.|
|描述：||408 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.|
|内容：||Pt. 1. 1900-1950 --
Pt. 2. 1950-2000.
"This book considers American art as a response to political, social, and economic conditions. It opens at the start of the century, when boundaries between high art and all that simmered beneath it were collapsing. In these pages, we are able to see the dramatic changes that characterized art in the first half of the century. We discover why the New York Armory Show of 1913 was such a shock to many artistic sensibilities; how Alfred Stieglitz and his circle drove photography toward modernism, a movement that would eventually include all the arts; and how the Depression (and the WPA) shaped a generation of artists, leaving a rich, public legacy in photography, painting, literature, and architecture. By the century's midpoint, the artistic output of this still young nation was astonishing."--BOOK JACKET.
- Art, American -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
- Arts, American -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
- Art, American -- Exhibitions.
- Arts, American -- Exhibitions.
- Art, Modern -- 20th century -- United States -- Exhibitions.
- Arts, Modern -- 20th century -- United States -- Exhibitions.
- Art américain -- Expositions.
- Art américain -- 20e siècle -- Expositions.
- Arts américains -- Expositions.
- Arts -- États-Unis -- 20e siècle -- Expositions.
- Geschichte 1900-1950.
- New York (NY, 1999)
- Art, American.
- Arts, American.