|提及的人：||Jack London; Charmian London; Charmian London; Jack London; Charmian London; Jack London; Charmian London; Jack London|
|描述：||xiii, 362 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm|
Born to sorrow --
Different, yet the same --
The wanderer --
The taming --
The eternal search --
God's own mad lover --
Comrades in arms --
Hawaiian fantasy --
The dark isles --
Sonoma eden --
To till the soil --
Illusions dashed --
World weary --
The soul emerges --
Jack London's stories of adventure in the frozen landscapes of the Yukon and the steamy islands of the South Seas have captured the imaginations of readers all over the world. Born into the working class, London was a major force in the lively Socialist movement of his day. In 1903 he shocked the morals of his country when he left his wife and two young daughters for a spunky spinster five years his senior. A new breed of woman, Charmian Kitteridge was notorious in the Bay area for daring to ride her horse astride and work in an office, unlike proper women of the day. As his "Mate-Woman," Charmian contributed to Jack's accomplishments -- she was his editor, transcriber, confidante, as well as the model for many of Jack's female characters. Together they overcame threats to their love that stemmed from Jack's alcoholism, infidelities, and illness. This is a compelling portrait that challenges the long-held view of London as a rough, hard-drinking womanizer, and of Charmian as a passive, childish dependent. Instead, this is a love story and a fascinating portrait of a couple whose courage, passion, and vitality remain a model of love fulfilled. - Publisher.
- London, Jack, -- 1876-1916 -- Marriage.
- London, Charmian -- Marriage.
- Novelists, American -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Authors' spouses -- United States -- Biography.
- Married people -- United States -- Biography.
- London, Charmian.
- London, Jack, -- 1876-1916.
- Authors' spouses.
- Married people.
- Novelists, American.
- United States.
- London, Jack.
- Authors' spouses -- United States -- Biography
- London, Charmian -- Marriage
- London, Jack -- 1876-1916 -- Marriage
- Married people -- United States -- Biography
- Novelists, American -- 20th century -- Biography
- London, Charmian, -- 1871-1955.