Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Levi L Hill; Robert Hutchings Goddard; Harry S Truman; Boston Corbett; Thomas W Evans; Eugénie, Empress consort of Napoleon III Emperor of the French; Constantine FitzGibbon|
|Notes:||"Sponsored by American Association for State & Local History [and] Society of American Historians."|
|Description:||112 pages : illustrations ; 29 cm|
|Contents:||Are these the world's first color photographs?: the curious story of Levi Hill, who may or may not have invented color photography / Wm. B. Becker --
The working American: a century and a half of labor in the United States, as recorded by our artists --
Roll around: a lyrical tribute to America's most persistent fad --
"God pity a one-dream man": the ordeal of Robert Hutchings Goddard, whose dogged vision made space travel a reality / Richard Rhodes --
A heritage preserved: saving face / T.H. Watkins --
Truman at Potsdam: his newly discovered diary reveals how the President saw the conference that ushered in the cold war / Robert H. Ferrell --
American characters: Boston Corbett / Richard F. Snow --
American-made: a photographic portfolio by John Gruen --
"Ocean to ocean in an automobile car": the first transcontinental auto trip / Stephen W. Sears --
The dentist and the Empress: when the second empire fell in 1870 and the mob was at the palace gates, the Empress Eugénie turned to the one man in France she could trust: Dr. Thomas W. Evans of Lancaster, Pa. / Gerald Carson. The Bohemian Club: for more than a century, the august members of this San Francisco body have enjoyed a unique, all-male midsummer night's dream / Richard Reinhardt --
Liquid assets: a Texas pioneer's unusual gift to his city --
Spying for the yanks: the safest, fastest, most convivial operation in the annals of espionage / Constantine FitzGibbon --
The forty- day scout: a trooper's memoir of Indian fighting in the southwest / John Koster --
Readers' album: fire watch.
- Hill, Levi L., -- 1816-1865.
- Daguerreotype -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Painting, American -- Pictorial works.
- Roller skating -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Goddard, Robert Hutchings, -- 1882-1945.
- Statues -- Conservation and restoration.
- Truman, Harry S., -- 1884-1972.
- Corbett, Boston.
- Antiques -- Pictorial works.
- Automobile travel -- United States.
- Evans, Thomas W. -- (Thomas Wiltberger), -- 1823-1897.
- Eugénie, -- Empress, consort of Napoleon III, Emperor of the French, -- 1826-1920.
- Bohemian Club (San Francisco, Calif.)
- FitzGibbon, Constantine, -- 1919-
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- 1866-1895.