Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Government publication, State or province government publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Armand L Mauss
|Description:||xvii, 257 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||1. The Mormon Movement in Metaphor and Theory --
2. Mormons as a Case Study in Assimilation --
3. Mormon Religious Beliefs at Midcentury --
4. Mormon Social and Political Beliefs at Midcentury --
5. Midcentury Mormon Peculiarity and Its Prospects --
6. The Official Response to Assimilation --
7. The Retrenchment Motif: Two Case Studies --
8. The Grass-Roots Response to Official Retrenchment --
9. Modern Mormon Religiosity and Its Consequences --
10. Mormon Fundamentalism: The Institutional Matrix --
11. Expressions of Folk Fundamentalism --
12. The Angel and the Beehive: Present and Future --
Appendix: Survey Methods and Measurements.
|Responsibility:||Armand L. Mauss.|
At what he refers to as "the folk or grassroots level," Mauss finds that Mormons have generally been compliant with the retrenchment effort and are today at least as "religious" on most measures as they were in the 1960s. A sizable segment of the Mormon membership, Mauss asserts, has gone beyond "Mormon" retrenchment to express itself in a growing resort to Protestant fundamentalism, both in scriptural understanding and in intellectual style. The author calls on a wide array of sources in sociology and history to show that Mormons, who by mid-century had come a long way from their position as disreputable "outsiders" in a society dominated by the mainline religions, seem now to be adopting more conservative ways and seeking a return to a more sectarian posture.
"Mauss's socio-historical analysis of selected transformations in the Mormon Church ... makes significant contributions to the sociology of religion. -- Sociology of Religion.
- Mormons -- Cultural assimilation -- United States.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- United States -- History.
- Mormon Church -- United States -- History.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Mormon Church.
- Mormons -- Cultural assimilation.
- United States.
- Assimilatie (sociologie)
- Geschichte 1950-1990.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints -- United States -- History
- Geschichte -- 1830-1992
- Mormon Church -- United States -- History
- Mormons -- Cultural assimilation -- United States