Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Arnold Bennett; Margaret Harris
|Description:||xxviii, 227 p. ; 19 cm.|
|Series Title:||World's classics.|
|Responsibility:||Arnold Bennett ; edited with an introduction by Margaret Harris.|
This was the first of Bennett's novels to mark out the province of the Five Towns where much of his later fiction is set. Drawing on his boyhood experience of the Staffordshire Potteries area, he shows both the vitality and the harshness of life in the community. Yet although the events of the novel - including suicide and embezzlement - are sensational, the narrative is restrained and compelling in its delineation of Anna's attempts to gain freedom and independence.
- City and town life -- Fiction.
- Women -- England -- Fiction.
- Staffordshire (England) -- Fiction.
- Stoke-on-Trent (England) -- Fiction.
- Pottery industry -- Fiction.
- English fiction.
- City and town life.
- Pottery industry.
- England -- Staffordshire.
- England -- Stoke-on-Trent.