Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
State government records
|Named Person:||B B Comer; J W Comer; J W Hardie; J F B Jackson; Charles T Pollard; Nicholas James Stallworth; R J Thornton; Thomas Williams|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
John Hollis Bankhead; Cunningham Russell M.; Reginald Heber Dawson; R J Harrison; A T Henley; William S Kyle; W D Lee; F McLemore; H Clay Taul; Alabama. Board of Inspectors of Convicts.; Alabama. Board of Inspectors of the Penitentiary.; Alabama. Board of Managers of Convicts.
|Description:||1.4 cubic ft. (4 archives boxes)|
|Other Titles:||History of the penitentiary.|
From 1869-1877 these reports were made annually, but gave essentially the same information as the 1866-1868 report. From 1880-1906, the reports became biennial. From 1880-1890 the reports were very detailed. Contractors using convicts were named as well as how many convicts the contractor employed, and the number of escapes from prison. The warden, John H. Bankhead, the chaplain, H. Clay Taul, and the physician, Russell M. Cunningham, submitted narrative and statistical reports. Accounts with contractors were given in great detail also. Deaths and causes of death were treated in significant detail as well. There are a number of special reports and tables. Of special interest is the 1882 "History of the Penitentiary," in the 1884-1886 report. The 1892-1906 reports gave basically the same information, but with less detail.
Some of the more important contractors included: Charles T. Pollard, Thomas Williams, Pratt Saw Mill Co., Comer & McCurdy, Pratt Coal and Iron Co., Blount Springs, J.W. Comer, J.W. Hardie, Smith & Pace, J.F.B. Jackson, N.J. Stallworth, B.B. Comer, Farris & McCurdy, Warrior Coal & Coke Co., R.J. Thornton, Sloss-Sheffied Steel and Iron Co., and Tennessee Coal, Iron, and Railroad Co.
Inspectors included R.H. Dawson, A.T. Henley, W.D. Lee, William S. Kyle, F. McLemore, and R.J. Harrison, among others.
- Comer, B. B. -- (Braxton Bragg), -- 1848-1927.
- Comer, J. W.
- Hardie, J. W.
- Jackson, J. F. B.
- Pollard, Charles T., -- 1872-
- Stallworth, Nicholas James, -- 1834-
- Thornton, R. J.
- Williams, Thomas.
- Comer and McCurdy (Ala.)
- Farris and McCurdy (Ala.)
- Henderson-Boyd Lumber Company (Ala.)
- Milner Coal and Railroad Company (Ala.)
- Pratt Coal and Iron Company (Ala.)
- Pratt Saw Mill Company (Ala.)
- Sloss Iron and Steel Company (Ala.)
- Sloss-Sheffield Steel and Iron Company (Ala.)
- Tennessee Coal, Iron, and Railroad Company.
- Vinegar Bend Lumber Company.
- Warrior Coal and Coke Company.
- Prison chaplains -- Alabama.
- Convict labor -- Alabama.
- Crime -- Alabama.
- Escapes -- Alabama.
- Prison administration -- Alabama.
- Prison hospitals -- Alabama.
- Prison physicians -- Alabama.
- Prisoners -- Alabama.
- Elmore County (Ala.)
- Jefferson County (Ala.)
- Walker County (Ala.)