Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Criticism, interpretation, etc
|Named Person:||Harriet Beecher Stowe; Harriet Beecher Stowe; Harriet Beecher Stowe; Harriet Beecher Stowe; Harriet Beecher Stowe|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Elizabeth Ammons; Susan Belasco
|ISBN:||9780873527552 0873527550 0873527569 9780873527569|
|Description:||vi, 240 pages ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||The writing, reception, and reputation of Uncle Tom's cabin / Susan Belasco --
Stowe, the abolition movement, and prevailing theories of race in nineteenth-century America / Susan M. Nuernberg --
Uncle Tom's cabin and conventional nineteenth-century domestic ideology / Lisa Logan --
Radical and reactionary?: religion and rhetorical conflict in Uncle Tom's cabin / Stephen R. Yarbrough and Sylvan Allen --
Uncle Tom's cabin, empire, and Africa / Elizabeth Ammons --
Pictures of slavery in the United States: consumerism, illustration, and the visualization of Stowe's novel / Paul C. Gutjahr --
Who gets to create the lasting images?: the problem of Black representation in Uncle Tom's cabin / Sophia Cantave --
Black slaves and white readers / Stephen Railton --
The problem of sentimental possession / Gillian Brown --
Alive with contradictions: close reading, liberal pluralism, and nonnarratable plots in Uncle Tom's cabin / David Leverenz. Uncle Tom's cabin and Incidents in the life of a slave girl: the issue of violence / Kristin Herzog --
Raising a passionate voice: teaching Uncle Tom's cabin to less experienced readers / Mary Jane Peterson --
Masochistic eroticism in Uncle Tom's cabin: feminist and reader-response approaches / Marianne K. Noble --
Africana constellations: African American studies and Uncle Tom's cabin / Sharon Carson --
The declaration of independence and Uncle Tom's cabin: a rhetorical criticism approach / Harold K. Bush, Jr. --
Acting the nigger: Topsy, Shirley Temple, and Toni Morrison's Pecola / Kimberly G. Hébert --
Slaves, slavery, and the politics of "home": an interdisciplinary approach to teaching Uncle Tom's cabin / Jamie Stanesa.
|Series Title:||Approaches to teaching world literature.|
|Responsibility:||edited by Elizabeth Ammons and Susan Belasco.|
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher, -- 1811-1896. -- Uncle Tom's cabin.
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher, -- 1811-1896 -- Study and teaching.
- Didactic fiction, American -- History and criticism.
- Uncle Tom (Fictitious character)
- Southern States -- In literature.
- African Americans in literature.
- Plantation life in literature.
- Slavery in literature.
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher, -- 1811-1896.
- Uncle Tom's cabin (Stowe, Harriet Beecher)
- Didactic fiction, American.
- Study skills.
- Southern States.
- Uncle Tom's cabin, or, Life among the lowly (Stowe)
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher. -- Uncle Tom's cabin, or, life among the lowly.
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher, -- 1811-1896. -- Uncle Tom's cabin, or, life among the lowly.