Find a copy in the library
Designs and plans
|Named Person:||Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue; Cass Gilbert; Benjamin W Morris; John Russell Pope; Charles Coolidge Haight|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Rafael Guastavino; William E Blodgett; Malcolm S Blodgett; Foster M Summerville; A M Bartlett; Kenneth Williams; George Roseborough Collins; Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company/George Collins.
|Notes:||This is the host record for which 701 separate RLIN VIM and 39 separate RLIN AMC records were created to describe projects with and without architectural drawings, respectively. See summary note, (field 520), for VIM record ID numbers and other related information. In order to facilitate access to projects without drawings (i.e. no RLIN VIM records), separate AMC records were created for each state and for all foreign countries. See field 789 for related AMC record ID numbers.|
|Description:||Records 40.1 linear ft. Architectural drawings 2,652 sheets. Samples 46 items.|
The list of projects include: Army War College and the National Shrine of Immaculate Conception, Washington, D.C.; Boston Public Library, Boston, Mass.; Baltimore Union Station, Baltimore, Md.; Nebraska State Capitol, Lincoln, Neb.; Grand Central Terminal and Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York, N.Y.; G.W. Vanderbilt residence, Biltmore, N.C.; and B'nai Israel Synagogue and Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh, Penn. The list of architects who hired the Company include: McKim, Mead & White; Benjamin Wistar Morris; Bertram G. Goodhue; John Russell Pope; Carrere & Hastings; Delano & Aldrich; Warren & Wetmore; York & Sawyer; Cass Gilbert; Cram and Ferguson; and Heins and LaFarge. The drawings in the collection consist of pencil and ink drawings, blueprints, blueline prints, sketches, and watercolors drawn and reproduced by the Company, architects and other contractors. The drawings include plans, elevations, sections, and details in full-scale of 700 projects and technical records. The dates of the drawings span 1886-1964, and the bulk dates are 1899-1936. These drawings are cataloged separately in RLIN VIM. Their RLIN ID numbers are NYDA94-F78 through NYDA94-F80, NYDA95-F0 through NYDA95-F141, NYDA96-F1 through NYDA96-F550, and NYDA98-F7. Their accession numbers are 1963.002.00001 through .02652.
- Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor, -- 1869-1924.
- Gilbert, Cass, -- 1859-1934.
- Morris, Benjamin W. -- (Benjamin Wistar), -- 1870-1944.
- Pope, John Russell, -- 1874-1937.
- Haight, Charles Coolidge, -- 1841-1917.
- McKim, Mead & White.
- York & Sawyer.
- Carrère & Hastings.
- Delano & Aldrich.
- Heins & LaFarge.
- Cram and Ferguson.
- Army War College (U.S.)
- National Shrine of Immaculate Conception (Washington, D.C.)
- Boston Public Library.
- Union Station (Baltimore, Md.)
- Nebraska State Capitol (Lincoln, Neb.)
- Grand Central Terminal (New York, N.Y.)
- Cathedral of St. John the Divine (New York, N.Y.)
- Biltmore Estate (Biltmore, Asheville, N.C.)
- B'nai Israel Synagogue (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
- Carnegie Institute of Technology.
- Columbia University -- Buildings.
- College buildings.
- Architecture -- United States -- Designs and plans.
- Architecture -- Cuba -- Havana -- Designs and plans.
- Architecture -- India -- Designs and plans.
- Architecture -- Panama -- Designs and plans.
- Architecture -- Mexico -- Designs and plans.
- Architecture -- Canada -- Designs and plans.
- Architecture -- Spain.
- Architecture -- Venezuela -- Caracas.
- Architecture -- England -- London.
- Architecture -- Peru -- Lima.
- Architecture -- Trinidad and Tobago.
- Architecture -- Netherlands -- Eindhoven.
- Architecture, Modern -- 19th century.
- Architecture, Modern -- 20th century.
- Guastavino vaults.
- Architectural drawings -- American.
- Detail drawings.
- Public buildings.
- Railroad stations.
- Apartment houses.
- Hotels (public accommodations)
- Banks (buildings)
- Bridges (built works)
- Commercial buildings.
- Recreation buildings.
- Industrial buildings.
- Subway stations.