Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Manuscripts for publication
|Named Person:||Rene D'Harnoncourt; Robert Goldwater; Douglas Newton; Nelson A Rockefeller|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||Museum of Primitive Art (New York, N.Y.)|
|Description:||ca. 145 linear feet.|
Of particular importance to the Archive are the materials relating to the special exhibitions that were presented from Feb. 1957 through Dec. 1974, including correspondence, memoranda, and exhibitions catalogs. Among other items, the Archive holds approximately 1,200 black-and-white, 8-by-10-inch photographs of the actual special exhibition installations. Taken primarily by Charles Uht, the staff photographer, they are complemented by a less complete group of color 35 mm. slides by Uht and other photographers. Also included are sketches of installation designs by René d'Harnoncourt and Douglas Newton.
The Archive also contains collections of ephemera that encompass an extensive range of media, from newspaper clippings to the metal lettering from the facade of the building. Important components of the Archive are the scrapbooks of articles concerning the museum's opening, exhibitions, and public programs. Publicity releases are also included in the scrapbooks. The sixty-three publications produced by the staff of the Museum of Primitive Art and visiting scholars are also represented in the Archive.
- D'Harnoncourt, Rene, -- 1901-1968.
- Goldwater, Robert, -- 1907-1973.
- Newton, Douglas, -- 1920-
- Rockefeller, Nelson A. -- (Nelson Aldrich), -- 1908-1979.
- Museum of Primitive Art (New York, N.Y.)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- Museum of Modern Art (New York, N.Y.)
- Art, African.
- Indian art.
- Art -- Oceania.
- Art museums -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Art -- Collectors and collecting.
- Art -- Exhibitions.
- Art -- Study and teaching -- United States.
- Traveling exhibitions.
- Museum architecture.