Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||R K Beecham; R K Beecham|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
R K Beecham; Michael E Stevens
|Notes:||Originally published (without foreword) in 1998 by Madison House.|
|Description:||xxiv, 238 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||Foreword Introduction Chapter 1: "As if it were glory and not years of bitter war": Bull Run and a Winter of Idleness: May 1861-April 1862 Chapter 2: "I was pretty sick": Surviving the Military Hospitals: April 1862-December 1862 Chapter 3: "A campaign of adventure": From the Mud March to Chancellorsville: January 1863-June 1863 Chapter 4: "We were all boys then": The First Day at Gettysburg: July 1, 1863 Chapter 5: "The living prepared for the morrow": The Second Day at Gettysburg: July 2, 1863 Chapter 6: "Into the fiercest hell of battle": The Third Day at Gettysburg: July 3, 1863 Chapter 7: "The scenes I witnessed there": Life in a Southern Prison Camp: July-August 1863 Chapter 8: "My first promotion": Becoming an Officer with the U.S. Colored Troops: August-December 1863 Chapter 9: "Soldiers till the last man falls": With the Twenty-third U.S. Colored Troops: January-June 1864 Chapter 10: "We'll show the world today that colored troops are soldiers": The Battle of the Crater: June-July 1864 Chapter 11: "We were a sorry-looking set": Prisoner of War Again: July 1864-March 1865 Chapter 12: "The paths and the vocations of peace": March-June 1865|
|Responsibility:||edited with an introduction by Michael E. Stevens ; with a foreword by John Y. Simon.|
Beecham pulls no punches in this lively memoir of his service as a soldier in the famed Iron Brigade and as an officer of African-American troops. Unlike most Civil War memoirs, this one does not
- Beecham, R. K. -- (Robert K.), -- 1838-1920.
- United States. -- Army. -- Iron Brigade (1861-1865)
- United States. -- Army. -- Colored Infantry Regiment, 23rd (1863-1865)
- Soldiers -- United States -- Biography.
- African American soldiers -- Biography.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African American.
- African American soldiers.
- Military participation -- African American.
- United States.