Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Danielle L McGuire
|Description:||xxii, 324 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||Prologue: at the dark end of the street --
They'd kill me if I told --
Negroes every day are being molested --
Walking in pride and dignity --
There's open season on Negroes now --
It was like all of us had been raped --
A black woman's body was never hers alone --
Sex and civil rights --
Power to the ice pick --
Epilogue: we all lived in fear for years.
|Responsibility:||Danielle L. McGuire.|
Rosa Parks was often described as a sweet and reticent elderly woman whose tired feet caused her to defy segregation on Montgomery's city buses, and whose supposedly spontaneous act sparked the 1955 boycott that gave birth to the civil rights movement. The truth of who Rosa Parks was and what really lay beneath the boycott is far different from anything previously written. In this groundbreaking book, Danielle McGuire writes about the 1944 rape of Recy Taylor, a mother and sharecropper who was abducted after an evening of singing and praying at the Rock Hill Holiness Church in Alabama. The president of the local NAACP branch sent his best investigator. Her name was Rosa Parks. In taking on this case, Parks launched a movement that exposed a ritualized history of sexual assault against black women and added fire to the growing call for change. -- Publisher description
- African American women -- Civil rights -- Alabama -- History -- 20th century.
- African American women -- Violence against -- Alabama -- History -- 20th century.
- Rape -- Political aspects -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Southern States -- Race relations -- History -- 20th century.
User lists with this item (18)
- Things to Check Out(462 items)
by sankeym updated about a month ago
- anewjimcrow(46 items)
by jakahr updated 2014-07-28
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month(22 items)
by PreusLibrary updated 2014-04-24
- Dual Credit Research Paper(31 items)
by annannunciates updated 2014-02-28
- Civil Rights Movement(31 items)
by BrookensLibrary updated 2014-02-10