|提及的人：||Avery family.; Alphonso Calhoun Avery; Clarke Moulton Avery; Isaac Erwin Avery; Isaac Erwin Avery; Isaac Thomas Avery; Waightstill Avery; William Waightstill Avery; Erwin family.; George Moses Horton; Lenoir family.; Probart family.|
Avery family of North Carolina.
|注意：||In the Southern Historical Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (#33).|
|描述：||About 3000 items (6.0 linear ft.).|
The collection includes personal and professional correspondence, legal papers, financial materials, and other papers relating to members of the Avery family and related Erwin, Lenoir, and Probert families. Personal correspondence concerns family affairs. Business correspondence concerns land; purchasing and hiring out of slaves; agriculture; politics; and financial, business, and legal affairs. Also included are several Civil War letters of Isaac Thomas Avery and Isaac Erwin Avery (1828-1863) with the 6th North Carolina Regiment, official war correspondence, letters concerning Isaac Erwin Avery's death at Gettysburg, and notes concerning deserters. Also included are bills; receipts; estate papers and wills; account books documenting the Avery plantation at Swan Ponds and other plantations, including the distribution of goods to slaves and purchase and hiring out of slaves; papers relating to gold purchases at the State Bank of North Carolina and gold mines; and a copy of Andrew Jackson's 1788 challenge to a duel with Waightstill Avery. Also included are biographical materials; genealogical materials; clippings; Civil War materials relating to Isaac Erwin Avery (1828-1863); publications by Isaac Erwin Avery (1871-1904); a recipe book and poetry of Harriet Erwin Avery; an undated, four-page dialogue poem, titled "Folly's Dialogue," by the "Colored Bard of North Carolina," the pen name of George Moses Horton, a Chatham County, N.C., slave and poet; and other materials.
- Account books -- North Carolina.
- Agriculture -- North Carolina.
- Avery family.
- Avery, Alphonso Calhoun, -- 1835-1913.
- Avery, Clarke Moulton, -- 1819-1864.
- Avery, Isaac Erwin, -- 1828-1863.
- Avery, Isaac Erwin, -- 1871-1904.
- Avery, Isaac Thomas, -- 1785-1864.
- Avery, Waightstill, -- 1741-1821.
- Avery, William Waightstill, -- 1816-1864.
- Banks and banking -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century.
- Burke County (N.C.) -- Economic conditions.
- Burke County (N.C.) -- Social life and customs.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army -- Military life.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army -- Officers -- Correspondence.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army. -- North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 6th.
- Desertion, Military -- Confederate States of America.
- Dueling -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century.
- Erwin family.
- Families -- North Carolina -- Social life and customs.
- Gold -- North Carolina.
- Horton, George Moses, -- 1798?-approximately 1880.
- Lawyers -- North Carolina -- History.
- Lenoir family.
- North Carolina -- Economic conditions.
- North Carolina -- Politics and government.
- North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Plantations -- North Carolina.
- Probart family.
- Slavery -- North Carolina.
- State Bank of North Carolina.