Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
London : Chatto and Windus ; New York : Duffield & Co 1908 (Edinburgh ; London : Ballantyne, Hanson & Co.)
|Material Type:||Juvenile audience|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Frederick James Furnivall; Edith Rickert; L J Naylor; Blanche C Hunter; Chatto & Windus (Firm); Duffield & Company.; Ballantyne, Hanson and Co.
|Notes:||Added t.p., engraved.
Frontispiece printed in sepia.
Baldwin Library copy : leather binding closed with decorative metal and leather clasps.
"The engraved title ... was adapted by Miss Blanche C. Hunter from B.M. Add. ms. 31240, f. 4"--Page [iv].
"Nearly forty years ago, Dr. Furnivall collected for the Early English text society 'divers treatises touching the manners and meals of Englishmen in former days.' Some of these were published in 1868, under the title The babees' book (since listed as Early English meals and manners) and others ... in 1869, under the title Queene Elizabethes achademy." The substance of Dr. Furnivall's collections in antiquated English are now presented in modern form. "About half of the translations have been made by Miss L.J. Naylor."--Introd. (p. xi-xii, xxxv).
|Description:||xxxv, 203 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 17 cm.|
The babees' book --
The ABC of Aristotle --
The little children's little book --
The young children's book --
Stans puer ad mensam --
How the good wife taught her daughter --
How the wise man taught his son --
John Russell's Book of nurture --
The book of courtesy --
Symon's Lesson of wisdom for all manner children --
Hugh Rhode's Book of nurture --
Francis Seager's School of virtue --
Richard Weste's School of virtue, the second part, or The Young scholar's paradise --
|Series Title:||New medieval library, 4.|
|Responsibility:||done into modern English from Dr. Furnivall's texts, by Edith Rickert.|
- Children -- Conduct of life -- Juvenile literature.
- Conduct of life -- Juvenile literature.
- Home economics -- England -- Juvenile literature.
- Education -- Juvenile literature.
- Education -- England -- Juvenile literature.
- Table -- Juvenile literature.
- Etiquette, Medieval -- Juvenile literature.
- Etiquette for children and teenagers -- Juvenile literature.
- Child rearing -- Juvenile literature.
- England -- Social life and customs -- Juvenile literature.
- Child rearing.
- Children -- Conduct of life.
- Conduct of life.
- Etiquette for children and teenagers.
- Etiquette, Medieval.
- Home economics.
- Manners and customs.