Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Jan Harold Brunvand
|Description:||367 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||Some can tell 'em, some can't --
1. Sex and scandal legends : "The baby train" ; "Superhero hijinks" ; "The hairdresser's error" ; "The butcher's prank" ; "The bad bachelorette" ; Photo faux pas and the infamous toothbrush story ; "The shocking videotape" --
2. Horrors : "Flights of fancy" ; "Mothers' double talk" and other domestic tragedies ; Three sticky situations ; "The accidental cannibals" ; "The exploding bra" ; Exploding airplanes ; "The failed suicide" ; "Psychic videotapes" ; "No news but bad news" ; The Jersey devil ; Mothman, big bird or fantasy? ; "Homey the clown" ; The well to hell ; Drug horror stories --
3. Crime and punishment : Foiled again! Lessons from folklore ; Annual campus crime-rumor scares ; Crime victims speak, and folklorists listen ; City life ; From the annals of modern crime ; "The body in the bed" ; "The slasher under the car" ; "The colander copier caper" ; Crime and the quake ; "The kidney heist" --
4. On-the-job legends : Career decisions ; "The bedbug letter" ; Roughneck fishermen throw 'em back ; "The wife on the flight" ; Mistaken identities ; "The technology contest" ; "Give me a high three" ; A dirt-cheap way of selling real estate ; Tales from the greenroom ; The modem tax rumor ; Log-on lingo and other net takes --
5. Fun and games : "Built in a day" ; Tour guide stories ; Golf stories ; These creative tales age well ; Biker legends ; Generation gap lore moves with the times ; Messin' with jazz --
6. Foreign relations : Culture clash legends ; Refugees adapt to life Hmong strangers ; British travel troubles ; Good on you, Australians ; Tall tales from the low countries ; Finnish urban legends ; My man in Silesia ; Hold that Taiga tale ; The latest legends from Italy ; Urban legends in Japan --
7. Animal legends : Sad animal tales, and why there are no cats in Solvay, New York ; Why your pet hates the vet ; "Stupid pet rescues" ; Motown panthers (and others) are hard to trail ; "The hunter's nightmare" ; "The flying cow" ; "The missionaries and the cat" ; "The spider in the cactus" ; "The snake in the greens" and other weird green things --
8. Academic legends : Back to school legends ; "The obligatory wait" ; Sinking libraries ; Switched campus buildings ; "The dormitory surprise" ; "The gay roommate" ; "The daughter's letter from college" ; Lending a hand at med school ; Lessons in compassion ; Dissertation blues.
|Other Titles:||Baby train.|
|Responsibility:||Jan Harold Brunvand.|