|資料類型：||圖形, 藝術原作, 照片|
John Rubens Smith; George Girdler Smith; J.H. Bufford's Lith.,; Smith, Knight & Tappan,
|注意：||At head of title: Old Boston.
Entd. according to act of Congress in the year 1858 by Geo. G. Smith in the Clerk's Office of the district Court of Mass.
|描述：||1 print : chromolithograph ; image and text 32 x 38 cm., on sheet 40 x 47 cm.|
|責任：||From a drawing made on the spot by J.R. Smith in 1811, 12. ; J.H. Bufford's lith. 313 Washington St.|
Subject: View of Beacon Hill, including the Beacon Hill Memorial Column designed in 1789 by Charles Bulfinch to memorialize the site of the original beacon. Beacon Hill was cut away in 1811 - the same year the original drawing was executed - and the column destroyed; it was later replicated in its original location behind the statehouse, however, where it still stands. The dirt face of the partially destroyed hill is shown at right. The mansion of William Thurston is perched on the hill at left; it was torn down only a few years after the hill was cut away, and its owner brought a lawsuit against the Hancock family, the architects of the excavation. The corner of a brick structure frames the image at right. A number of figures linger in the street and on the top of the hill.