Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Cas, Études de
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0807743569 9780807743560 0807743550 9780807743553|
|Description:||xiv, 178 pages ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Schools as communities of commitment. The call for a different type of high school --
What makes schools communities of commitment? --
Critical characteristics of schools that are communities of commitment --
A vocational-technical high school can be academic --
A high school for new English language learners --
A real chance high school --
Organization, relationships, and teaching and learning in schools as communities of commitment --
2. Organizing schools to be communities of commitment. Creating possibilities --
Images of schools organized for commitment --
Conclusion --3. Caring relationships : the main thing. A snapshot of a powerful relationship --
The nature of caring relationships in a school setting --
Leveraging relationships for social development and academic achievement --
Relationships as a source of social capital --
Conclusion. 4. Teaching and learning for making meaning. A classroom for public and personal discourse --
How making meaning finds its way onto the teaching and learning landscape --
Instructional infrastructure to support teaching and learning for making meaning --
Teacher learning --
5. Possibilities for schools as communities of commitment : what it takes. Internal conditions --
External conditions --
Scaling up --
Appendix. Exhibit 1: Urban Academy schedule --
Exhibit 2: Hodgson Steering Committee goals --
Exhibit 3: International curriculum --
Exhibit 4: Urban Academy course catalog --
Exhibit 5: Hodgson best practices.
|Series Title:||Series on school reform.|
|Responsibility:||Jacqueline Ancess ; foreword by Linda Darling-Hammond.|
"Beating the Odds "is a must-read for all high school reformers!"
- High schools -- United States -- Case studies.
- Youth with social disabilities -- Education (Secondary) -- United States -- Case studies.
- School improvement programs -- United States -- Case studies.
- Écoles secondaires -- États-Unis -- Cas, Études de.
- Jeunes handicapés sociaux -- Enseignement secondaire -- États-Unis -- Cas, Études de.
- Enseignement -- Réforme -- États-Unis -- Cas, Études de.
- High schools.
- School improvement programs.
- Youth with social disabilities -- Education (Secondary)
- United States.
- Voortgezet onderwijs.
- Gemeenschap (sociologie)
- High School.