Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Catharine Esther Beecher; Harriet Beecher Stowe; Isabella Beecher Hooker; Mary Beecher Perkins; Beecher family.; Catharine Esther Beecher; Beecher family.; Isabella Beecher Hooker; Mary Beecher Perkins; Harriet Beecher Stowe; Harriet Beecher Stowe; Beecher, Familie.|
|Material Type:||Biography, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Barbara A White
|Description:||xiii, 399 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Calvinist childhoods, 1800-1837 --
Marriage and motherhood, 1837-1852 --
In the wake of Uncle Tom's Cabin --
Water cure and Civil War, 1860-1865 --
The gilded age, 1865-1868 --
Suffrage arguments, 1868-1869 --
"Foes in your own household," 1870-1871 --
Free love and "Mrs. Satan," 1871-1872 --
The Beecher-Tilton scandal, 1872-1875 --
Spiritualism, 1875-1878 --
Losses, 1878-1887 --
The board of lady managers, 1888-1893.
|Responsibility:||Barbara A. White.|
"This book is a joint biography of the sisters, whose lives spanned the full course of the nineteenth century, from the birth of Catharine in 1800 to the death of Isabella in 1907. The book chronicles their careers, their responses to and roles in shaping the major issues of their age, and their relationships with one another - including the jealousies that arose in the wake of the phenomenal success of Uncle Tom's Cabin. The life of Isabella Beecher - who has never been the subject of a biography - is examined in particular detail here. Drawing on little used sources, White explores Isabella's political development and her interactions with her sisters and with prominent people of the time - from Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton to Mark Twain."
"This book offers a vivid reexamination of these three extraordinary lives and the tumultuous century that they played a significant role in shaping."--Jacket.
- Beecher, Catharine Esther, -- 1800-1878.
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher, -- 1811-1896.
- Hooker, Isabella Beecher, -- 1822-1907.
- Perkins, Mary Beecher, -- 1805-1900.
- Beecher family.
- Sisters -- United States -- Biography.
- Women -- United States -- Biography.
- Feminists -- United States -- Biography.
- Authors, American -- 19th century -- Biography.
- United States -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Beecher, Catharine Esther, -- 1800-1878
- Hooker, Isabella Beecher, -- 1822-1907
- Perkins, Mary Beecher, -- 1805-1900
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher, -- 1811-1896
- Authors, American.
- Manners and customs.
- United States.
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher.
- Beecher -- Familie.