Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Abraham Lincoln; Mary Todd Lincoln; Elizabeth Keckley; Abraham Lincoln; Mary Todd Lincoln; Elizabeth Keckley; Abraham Lincoln; Mary Todd Lincoln|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0195052595 9780195052596 0195052676 9780195052671 0195060849 9780195060843|
|Description:||xvi, 371 pages : portrait ; 17 cm.|
|Contents:||Part slave narrative, part memoir, and part sentimental fiction, Behind the Scenes depicts Elizabeth Keckley's years as a slave and subsequent four years in Abraham Lincoln's White House during the Civil War. As public drama privately experienced, Keckley's work presents Jefferson Davis and his wife, Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd Lincoln, and even Stephen Douglas and "Mrs. Senator Douglas" in the foreground, with the war, and slavery as the issue that precipitated it, in the background. Through the eyes of this black woman --
an ex-slave, seamstress, and dressmaker --
we see a wide range of historical figures and events of the antebellum South, the Washington of the Civil War years, and the final stages of the war.
|Series Title:||Schomburg library of nineteenth-century Black women writers.|
|Other Titles:||Behind the scenes; or, Thirty years a slave and four years in the White House
Thirty years a slave and four years in the White House
|Responsibility:||Elizabeth Keckley ; with an introduction by James Olney.|
"Invaluable...Elizabeth Keckley's memoir of her life as a White House dressmaker for Mary Todd Lincoln...[is a] curious gem"--Eric J. Sundquist in The New York Times Book Review "A remarkable vantage
- Lincoln, Abraham, -- 1809-1865 -- Relations with African Americans.
- Lincoln, Mary Todd, -- 1818-1882 -- Relations with African Americans.
- Keckley, Elizabeth, -- approximately 1818-1907.
- Women slaves -- United States -- Biography.
- African American women -- Biography.
- Lincoln, Abraham, -- 1809-1865.
- Lincoln, Mary Todd, -- 1818-1882.
- Keckley, Elizabeth, -- approximately 1818-1907
- Lincoln, Abraham, -- 1809-1865
- Lincoln, Mary Todd, -- 1818-1882
- African American women.
- Relations with African Americans.
- Women slaves.
- United States.
- Black persons -- Slaves
- United States