Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Silver gelatin prints
|Named Person:||Benjamin J Davis; Cab Calloway; Lena Horne; Joe Louis; Thurgood Marshall; Walter White; Cab Calloway; Benjamin J Davis; Lena Horne; Joe Louis; Thurgood Marshall; Walter White|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Photograph|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Benjamin J Davis; Pete; Daily Worker (New York, N.Y.)
|In:||Davis, Benjamin J|
|Notes:||Title devised by cataloger.
Many items have handwritten descriptive information on verso; some items have captions on recto; one item has newspaper's handstamp on recto that credits a staff photographer, "Daily Worker photo by Pete."
Some items have cropping marks; one item has been cropped.
|Description:||20 items (.1 lin. ft., 1 folder) 6 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ; 26 x 21 cm. or smaller. 13 photographic prints : silver gelatin, b&w ; 13 x 11 cm. or smaller. 1 photomechanical print : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm.|
The collection includes portraits of Davis; a portrait of his father, Benjamin Davis, Sr.; Davis meeting with various individuals, including Lena Horne, Cab Calloway, Thurgood Marshall, Joe Louis, and the mothers of the Scottsboro defendents; a group portrait of Davis and ten other Communist leaders, the Smith Act defendants, accused of sedition (ca. 1949); a view of Davis upon his release from prison (1953); a view of the New York City Council in session; photographic reproductions of a "Free Ben Davis" poster (combined with a portrait of Walter White) and a billboard erected by Davis' supporters during his trial and imprisonment; and a view of a street crowd responding to Davis' prison release.
- Davis, Benjamin J. -- (Benjamin Jefferson), -- 1903-1964.
- Calloway, Cab, -- 1907-1994.
- Horne, Lena.
- Louis, Joe, -- 1914-1981.
- Marshall, Thurgood, -- 1908-1993.
- White, Walter, -- 1893-1955.
- Communist Party of the United States of America.
- New York (N.Y.). -- City Council.
- African American communists.
- Communists -- United States.
- City council members -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Trials (Political crimes and offenses) -- United States.
- African Americans -- Political activity.
- White, Walter, -- 1893-1955
- City council members.
- Trials (Political crimes and offenses)
- New York (State) -- New York.
- United States.