Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Emily Dickinson; Sewell family|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Benjamin Kendall Emerson; Mary Annette Hopkins Emerson; Henry D Sewall; Edmund Q Sewall; Charlotte Frelinghuysen Allen Hopkins; Samuel Sewall; Allen family.; Dickinson family.; Emerson family.; Hopkins family.; Kendall family.; Sewall family.
|Notes:||Photographs removed to the Benjamin K. Emerson Photographs (unprocessed) (Photo. Coll. 500.123).|
|Description:||23 boxes and 1 oversize folder.|
The bulk of the collection consists of letters exchanged by Mary A. H. Emerson, (1848-97), and her mother, Charlotte F. A. Hopkins, between 1860-95. There are typed letters, typescript copies, and letters to his wife concerning the service of Dr. (Benjamin) Kendall Emerson (1875-1962), a major in the Royal Army Medical Corps Harvard Medical Unit of the British Army in France, 1916-17. The collection also contains Emerson's typewritten log (26 Feb.-16 Apr. 1919) of a journey by train across Siberia and Manchuria while working for the American Red Cross, noting his impressions of the landscape and its inhabitants, visits to refugee camps and hospitals, and the influence of Communism in the region; and Emerson's letters to his wife from Paris where he was director of the American Hospital and medical director of the American Red Cross in Europe.
- Dickinson, Emily, -- 1830-1886.
- Sewell family -- Genealogy.
- American Red Cross.
- Great Britain. -- Army. -- Royal Army Medical Corps.
- Amherst College.
- Geological Survey (U.S.)
- Communism -- Russia (Federation) -- Siberia.
- Medicine, Military.
- Physicians -- Diaries.
- Voyages and travels -- Diaries.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Civilian relief.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- France.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Medical care.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- War work.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- France -- Description and travel.
- Manchuria (China) -- Description and travel.
- Siberia (Russia) -- Description and travel.