Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Laughlin, Robert M.
Beware the great horned serpent!
Albany, N.Y. : Institute for Mesoamerican Studies, University at Albany ; Austin : Distributed by University of Texas Press, c2003
|Named Person:||Napoleon, Emperor of the French|
|Material Type:||Government publication, State or province government publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Robert M Laughlin
|Notes:||Rev. translation of: La gran serpiente cornuda.|
|Description:||xiii, 302 p.,  p. of plates : ill., 1 map ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||Introduction: How, Who, and Why --
Sect. I. The World of the Proclamations --
1. Spain --
2. Cadiz, the Cortes, and the Cunsitution --
3. Peru --
4. New Spain --
5. Guatemala --
6. Chiapa --
Sect. II. The Proclamations --
Proclamation of the Duque del Infantado to the Residents Overseas
|Series Title:||Studies on culture and society, v. 8.|
|Other Titles:||Gran serpiente cornuda.|
|Responsibility:||Robert M. Laughlin.|
"In this book, Robert M. Laughlin translates the proclamation and its Spanish source into English and provides a detailed and lively account of the proclamation's historical context, examining the surrounding political conflicts and intrigues on both sides of the Atlantic, as well as the situation of the Tzotzils at the time. He also explores the rich metaphorical language through which the friar attempted to make Spain's political problems meaningful and compelling to his intended Maya audience. Transcriptions of the Spanish and Tzotzil texts are included.".
"This original work will be of great interest to students of Mayan languages, historians of the colonial and early national periods, and anthropologists of the Maya region. As the Tzotzils and other Mayas of Chiapas have recently claimed a place on the stage of world events, this look at their role in an earlier period of conflict will be especially welcome."--BOOK JACKET.
- Tzotzil Indians -- History -- 19th century.
- Tzotzil Indians -- Government relations.
- Manuscripts, Tzotzil -- Mexico -- Chiapas -- History -- 19th century.
- Tzotzil language -- Social aspects.
- Spain -- Colonies -- America -- Administration.
- Spain -- Foreign relations -- Mexico.
- Mexico -- Foreign relations -- Spain.
- Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1810-1821.
- Mexico -- History -- Wars of Independence, 1810-1821.
- Napoleon -- I, -- Emperor of the French, -- 1769-1821 -- Relations with Latin Americans.
- Tzutuhil (Indiens)
- Espagne -- Colonies -- Amérique -- Histoire -- 19e siècle.
- Amérique latine -- Histoire -- 1806-1830 (Guerres d'indépendance)