Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Integral errata lists (Printing)
Bibliography of bibliographies Early works to 1800
Early works to 1800
Bibliography Early works to 1800
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Rede, Leman Thomas, -1810.
London : Printed for J. Debrett ..., J. Sewell ..., R. Baldwin and J. Bew ..., and E. Harlowe ..., 1789
|Named Person:||William Robertson|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Leman Thomas Rede; Arthur Homer; Alexander Dalrymple; John Debrett; John Sewell; R Baldwin; John Bew; Elizabeth Harlow; P R Maverick; New York Society Library.; New York Society Library. Trustees.
|Notes:||Includes index (p. 263-271), printed in double-columns.
Errata on p. , 1st group.
Signatures: [A]² B-2M⁴.
Variously attributed to Arthur Homer (whose projected Bibliotheca americana, announced in 1799, was never published), a Mr. Reid, John Debrett, the publisher, Alexander Dalrymple, and others. Leman Thomas Rede has been definitely established as the author through his holograph letter and ms. transcript of the t.p. to his proposed work which are inserted in the Grolier Club copy of the work. Cf. NUC pre-1956 imprints; Stuart C. Sherman. Leman Thomas Rede's Bibliotheca americana (in William and Mary quarterly, 3rd ser., v. 4, no. 3, July, 1947).
"An introductory discourse on the state of literature in North and South America": p. -21.
Titles mentioned in William Robertson's History of America, and from the Library of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in America are noted (p. , 1st group).
Library set bears ex-libris by P.R. Maverick and the Notice by Trustees on front paste-down. Contemporary binding; red lettering-piece. Listed in 1792 catalogue, p. 110, 4°; in 1793 catalogue, p. 27, No. 2999, and in the First ledger as Bibliotheca America [sic].
|Description:||, 271,  pages (last pages blank) ; 27 cm (4°)|
|Other Titles:||Introductory discourse on the state of literature in North and South America.
Chronological catalog of the most curious and interesting books, pamphlets, state papers, &c
Chronological catalogue of the most curious and interesting books, pamphlets, state papers, &c. upon the subject of North and South America
First Ledger (New York Society Library)
- Robertson, William, -- 1721-1793. -- History of America.
- Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (Great Britain). -- Library.
- America -- Bibliography -- Early works to 1800.
- Early printed books -- Bibliography of bibliographies -- Early works to 1800.
- America -- Bibliography of bibliographies -- Early works to 1800.
- American literature -- History -- Early works to 1800.
- American literature -- Bibliography -- Early works to 1800.
- Early printed books -- Bibliography.
- Early printed books -- Early works to 1800.
- Rare books -- Bibliography -- Early.
- Rare Books.