Boston : Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2009
|提及的人：||Theodore Roosevelt; Gifford Pinchot|
|描述：||x, 324 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations, map ; 24 cm|
|内容：||Prologue: A fire at the end of the world --
Part I. In on the creation. "A peculiar intimacy" ; Roost of the robber barons ; The Great Crusade ; Deadwood days ; Showdown --
Part II. What they lost. Summer of smoke ; Men, men, men! ; Spaghetti Westerners ; Firestorm's eve ; Blowup ; The lost day ; The lost night ; Towns afire ; To save a town ; The missing ; The living and the dead --
Part III. What they saved. Fallout ; One for the boys ; Ashes.
On the afternoon of August 20, 1910, a battering ram of wind moved through the drought-stricken national forests of Washington, Idaho, and Montana, whipping the hundreds of small blazes burning across the forest floor into a roaring inferno that jumped from treetop to ridge as it raged, destroying towns and timber in the blink of an eye. Forest rangers had assembled nearly ten thousand men -- college boys, day workers, immigrants from mining camps -- to fight the fire. But no living person had seen anything like those flames, and neither the rangers nor anyone else knew how to subdue them. Equally dramatic is the larger story of outsized president Teddy Roosevelt and his chief forester, Gifford Pinchot. Pioneering the notion of conservation, Roosevelt and Pinchot did nothing less than create the idea of public land as our national treasure, owned by and preserved for every citizen. The robber barons fought Roosevelt and Pinchot's rangers, but the Big Burn saved the forests even as it destroyed them: the heroism shown by the rangers turned public opinion permanently in their favor and became the creation myth that drove the Forest Service, with consequences still felt in the way our national lands are protected -- or not -- today.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, -- 1858-1919.
- Presidents -- United States -- Biography.
- Conservationists -- United States -- Biography.
- Pinchot, Gifford, -- 1865-1946.
- Forest conservation -- United States -- History.
- Nature conservation -- United States -- History.
- National parks and reserves -- United States -- History.
- United States. -- National Park Service -- History.
- Forest fires -- Montana -- History.
- Forest fires -- Idaho -- History.
- Northern Rockies Fires 1910(14 资料)
由 netclrc 已更新 2014-02-24
- Books at Home(48 资料)
由 ericbodwell 已更新 2012-10-05
- Things to Check Out(3 资料)
由 newsrack 已更新 2012-10-01
- national parks books(21 资料)
由 Brenda-Neal 已更新 2012-01-31
- WSU Libraries Faculty and Staff Favorite Books from 2010(29 资料)
由 zbriceno 已更新 2010-12-16