|类型/形式：||Bibliography Union lists
Julius Eric Thompson
|描述：||xiii, 228 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||1. Historical Development: 1865-1939 --
2. World War II and After: 1940-1949 --
3. The Conservative Mood: 1950-1959 --
4. The Civil Rights Movement: 1960-1969 --
5. The Postmovement Era: 1970-1979 --
6. Change and Continuity: 1980-1985 --
App. A. Black Mississippi Newspapers, 1865-1985 --
App. B. White Mississippi Newspapers --
App. C. Other Publications --
App. D. Mississippi Radio and Television Stations.
|责任：||Julius E. Thompson.|
Born during slavery - when blacks exchanged information through music, myth, and religion - and growing out of necessity during the Civil War, the black press in Mississippi developed into a conservative, marginally relevant institution by the turn of the century. Julius Thompson examines its period of vigorous growth in the twenties, its decline during the depression, and its precarious balance in the 1960s: if black press publications and reporters appeared to be too conservative, the civil rights movement denounced them; if they appeared to be too radical, the police, Ku Klux Klan, and White Citizens' Council abused them, sometimes with arson, bombings, or beatings.
All black journalists had reason to fear the state's Sovereignty Commission, which could and did curb and coerce the press. Though more black newspapers existed in the state in the 1960s than at any time since the twenties, the decade of struggle took its toll. With the death of Martin Luther King and the freedom movement's geographic shift to the North, the era gave way to disillusionment in the seventies.
The black press in Mississippi continues to struggle, week by week, to stay afloat, Thompson says, while the white press - competing successfully for advertising dollars - maintains a generally conservative stance on the social, political, and economic matters of greatest interest to blacks. He concludes that the challenge that confronted the black press in the last century looms into the next.
- African American newspapers -- Mississippi -- Bibliography -- Union lists.
- African American periodicals -- Mississippi -- Bibliography -- Union lists.
- Union catalogs -- Mississippi.
- African American newspapers -- Mississippi -- Directories.
- African American periodicals -- Mississippi -- Directories.
- Geschichte (1865-1985)
- Mississippi (Staat)