Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Coretta Scott King Award (Illustrator)
Dust jackets (Binding)
|Material Type:||Juvenile audience|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Joyce Carol Thomas; Floyd Cooper; HarperCollins (Firm)
|ISBN:||0060253754 9780060253752 0060253762 9780060253769|
|Notes:||"Joanna Cotler books."|
|Awards:||Coretta Scott King Honor, author, 2009.
Coretta Scott King Award, illustrator, 2009.
|Description:||32 unnumbered pages : color illustrations ; 30 cm|
|Contents:||What shade is human? --
The blacker the berry --
Raspberry black --
Golden goodness --
Coffee will make you black --
Cranberry red --
Sunshine girl --
Biscuit brown --
Skin deep --
Night shade --
|Responsibility:||by Joyce Carol Thomas ; illustrated by Floyd Cooper.|
This work features twelve poems complimenting different shades of skin color and connecting those colors with similes and metaphors of foods -- mostly berries. The poems each convey, through the eyes of a child, the beauty of their own complexion and how their skin came to be that color.
WorldCat User Reviews (1)
A nice addition to any library.
This poetry book is beautifully illustrated and gives dimensions to all the different shades of black. This book celebrates the many variations of black skin color in poetry and pictures and how each one is beautiful in its own unique way.
- Was this review helpful to you?
- African Americans -- Juvenile poetry.
- Children's poetry, American.
- American poetry -- Juvenile poetry.
- Illustrated children's books.
- Children's poetry -- 2008.
- African Americans -- Poetry.
- American poetry.
- African Americans.
- Children's poetry.
User lists with this item (10)
- Coretta Scott King Award (Illustrator)(30 items)
- Cultures in America Picture Books(146 items)
- Coretta Scott King Honor Books (Author and Illustrator)(96 items)
- African American Authors(112 items)
by ReadAcrossAmerica updated 2017-01-26
- Coretta Scott King Award(135 items)
by sarahridinger updated 2016-06-21