Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0802113478 9780802113474 0297812459 9780297812456|
|Description:||x, 175 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Prologue: To Fight the Evil --
1. Conspirators of Goodness. Nieuwlande. Le Chambon-sur-Lignon. Andonno --
2. The Honourable Consuls. Giorgio Perlasca. Sempo Sugihara. Georg Ferdinand Duckwitz. Aristides de Sousa Mendes. Louis Haefliger. Friedrich Born --
3. Prisoners' Prisoners. Charles Coward. Adelaide Hautval. Ten British POWs --
4. The Church Defiant. Erik Myrgren. Gabor Sztehlo. Archbishop Damaskinos. Joseph Andre. Rufino Nicacci. Anna Borkowska --
5. The Benevolent Crescent. Mustafa Hardaga. Selahattin Ulkumen. Refik Veseli --
6. An Act of Resistance. Ona Simaite. Stanislaw Dutkievicz. Wladislawa Choms. Henryk Grabowski. Leonard Glinski. Witold Fomienko. Joseph Jaksy. Alexa Puti. Yvonne Nevejean. Alice Ferrieres. Georges Dumas. Joszef Antall. Halfdan Ullman --
7. The Few Who Disobeyed. Hugo Armann. Anton Schmid. Eberhard and Donata Helmrich. Roman Erich Petsche. Oskar Schindler. Max Schmeling. Maria von Maltzan --
Epilogue: Whys and Wherefores.
These are dramatic and inspiring accounts, usually in the words of the rescuers and those they rescued, ranging from a German factory manager who saved 1,500 employees in Galicia; to a Portuguese consul in Bordeaux who wrote visas for 10,000 Jews in three days; to a British prisoner of war who traded dead Jews for the living; to a Swiss Red Cross worker who broke the rules of neutrality by shielding thousands of Jews in Budapest; to a Japanese consul who rescued the children of an entire yeshivah. By using personal testimonies, Eric Silver vividly conveys the anguish of the hunted, the bravery of their liberators, and the constant fear of betrayal, discovery, persecution, and execution that haunted them both. The Book of the Just is riveting oral history, a powerful contribution to Holocaust literature, an act of remembrance and commemoration, and a salute to all those who helped to save a whole world by saving even just one life.