Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780807833599 0807833592 1469609746 9781469609744|
|Notes:||"Published in association with the William P. Clements Center for Southwest Studies, Southern Methodist University."|
|Description:||328 pages : illustrations, map ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||Agriculture, state expectations, and the configuration of citizenship --
Narrating class and nation: agribusiness and the construction of grower narratives --
Manhood, the lure of migration, and contestations of the modern --
Rites of movement, technologies of power: making migrants modern from home to the border --
With hunched back and on bended knee: race, work, and the modern north of the border --
Strikes against solidarity: containing domestic farmworkers' agency --
Border of belonging, border of foreignness: patriarchy, the modern, and making transnational Mexicanness --
Tipping the negotiating hand: state-to-state struggle and the impact of migrant agency.
"Cohen mobilizes cultural insight, sociological precision, and historical understanding to create a definitive account of this extraordinarily important moment in the long, complicated, and rich
- Migrant agricultural laborers -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Mexicans -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Migrant labor -- Government policy -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects.
- Mexico -- Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects.
- United States -- Foreign economic relations -- Mexico.
- Mexico -- Foreign economic relations -- United States.
- Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects.
- International economic relations.
- Migrant agricultural laborers.
- Migrant labor -- Government policy.
- United States.