Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Susannah Cahalan; Susannah Cahalan; Susannah Cahalan|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9781451621372 145162137X 9781451621396 1451621396|
|Description:||xii, 264 p : ill.|
The clock --
In search of lost time.
In 2009 the author woke up alone in a strange hospital room, strapped to her bed, under guard, and unable to move or speak. Her medical records chronicled a month long hospital stay of which she had no memory at all; the records showed psychosis, violence, and dangerous instability. Yet, only weeks earlier she had been a healthy, ambitious twenty-four-year-old. Susannah's astonishing memoir chronicles the swift path of her illness and the lucky, last-minute intervention led by one of the few doctors capable of saving her life. Neurologist Souhel Najjar recognized the symptoms of a newly discovered autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks the brain, a disease now thought to be tied to both schizophrenia and autism, and perhaps the root of "demonic possessions" throughout history. This is the account of one woman's struggle to recapture her identity and to rediscover herself among the fragments left behind.
It's a cold March night in New York, and journalist Susannah Cahalan is watching PBS with her boyfriend, trying to relax after a difficult day at work. He falls asleep, and wakes up moments later to
- Cahalan, Susannah -- Health.
- Cahalan, Susannah -- Mental health.
- Cahalan, Susannah.
- Encephalitis -- Patients -- United States -- Biography.
- Autoimmune diseases -- Patients -- United States -- Biography.
- Frontal lobes -- Diseases -- Patients -- United States -- Biography.
- Limbic system -- Diseases -- Patients -- United States -- Biography.
- Diagnostic errors -- United States -- Case studies.
- Encephalitis -- Autobiography.
- Diagnostic Errors -- Autobiography.
- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (PATHOLOGY)
- BRAIN DIAGNOSTICS + ENCEPHALOGRAPHY (MEDICINE)
- ENCEPHALITIS (NEUROPATHOLOGY)
- LIMBIC SYSTEM (NEUROLOGY)
- MENTAL DISORDERS (PSYCHOPATHOLOGY)
- MALADIES AUTO-IMMUNES (PATHOLOGIE)
- AUTOIMMUNKRANKHEITEN (PATHOLOGIE)
- DIAGNOSTIC DU CERVEAU + ENCEPHALOGRAPHIE (MEDECINE)
- GEHIRNDIAGNOSTIK + ENCEPHALOGRAPHIE (MEDIZIN)
- GEHIRNENTZUENDUNG (NEUROPATHOLOGIE)
- ENCEPHALITE (NEUROPATHOLOGIE)
- SYSTÈME LIMBIQUE (NEUROLOGIE)
- LIMBISCHES SYSTEM (NEUROLOGIE)
- GEISTESKRANKHEITEN (PSYCHOPATHOLOGIE)
- MALADIES MENTALES (PSYCHOPATHOLOGIE)
- AUTOBIOGRAPHIEN + SELBSTZEUGNISSE