Koch, Stephen, 1941-
New York : Counterpoint, c2005
|提及的人：||Ernest Hemingway; John Dos Passos; Ernest Hemingway; John Dos Passos; Jose Robles Pazos; Jose Robles Pazos; Ernest Hemingway; John Dos Passos; Ernest Hemingway; John Dos Passos; José Robles Pazos; José Robles Pazos; Ernest Hemingway; John Dos Passos|
|ISBN:||1582432805 9781582432809 158243798X 9781582437989|
|描述：||xi, 308 p. ; 22 cm.|
|内容：||The good times --
When a man makes friends --
The last good time --
The apparatchick appears --
The theater of war --
The capital of the world --
Fonseca, 25 --
The air of menace --
Hemingstein's dynamics of dying --
Barcelona on the verge --
The end of the affair --
Spanish realism, Spanish romance --
The necessary lie --
The necessary murderer --
Singing "Giovinezza" for free --
The spoils of defeat.
"When John Dos Passos walked into Ernest Hemingway's room in the Florida Hotel in Madrid, the air was thick with tension. Hemingway was fuming; Dos Passos was caught off guard. They were there to witness the Spanish Civil War firsthand, but something more personal was going on: as Spain was unraveling thread by thread, so was their friendship." "Dos Passos was widely regarded as the literary voice of America's new socially engaged generation - his face had been on the cover of Time the week the war broke out. And he had long considered Hemingway one of his best friends. Yet they were completely opposite in personality, with Dos Passos's calm temperament and mild manner standing in stark contrast to Hemingway's machismo. Dos Passos was probably oblivious even to Hemingway's envy of him - an envy that was soon to erupt into full-blown resentment." "They had arrived in Spain as comrades, leftist writers-in-arms. But when Dos Passos went looking for his close friend Jose Robles - a Spanish-born Johns Hopkins professor who had moved back to Spain to help save the Spanish Republic - Robles was nowhere to be found. Dos Passos's search for Robles would eventually take his literary career and his friendship with Hemingway to the breaking point." "Stephen Koch explores the short time the two men shared in Spain, and how their split changed the life and work of each man - and changed the course of American literature. The Breaking Point is the story of two lives at the intersection of friendship and murder, of love and death, and of literature and history."--BOOK JACKET.
- Hemingway, Ernest, -- 1899-1961 -- Homes and haunts -- Spain.
- Dos Passos, John, -- 1896-1970 -- Homes and haunts -- Spain.
- Hemingway, Ernest, -- 1899-1961 -- Friends and associates.
- Dos Passos, John, -- 1896-1970 -- Friends and associates.
- Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Biography.
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Authors, American -- Homes and haunts -- Spain.
- Americans -- Spain -- History -- 20th century.
- Robles Pazos, Jose -- Friends and associates.
- Murder -- Spain -- History -- 20th century.
- Robles Pazos, Jose -- Assassination.
- Spaanse burgeroorlog.
- Hemingway, Ernest, -- 1899-1961 -- Résidences et lieux familiers -- Espagne.
- Dos Passos, John, -- 1896-1970 -- Résidences et lieux familiers -- Espagne.
- Hemingway, Ernest, -- 1899-1961 -- Amis et relations.
- Dos Passos, John, -- 1896-1970 -- Amis et relations.
- Robles Pazos, José -- Amis et relations.
- Robles Pazos, José -- Assassinat.
- Écrivains américains -- 20e siècle -- Biographies.
- Écrivains américains -- Résidences et lieux familiers -- Espagne.
- Américains -- Espagne -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Meurtre -- Espagne -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Espagne -- Histoire -- 1936-1939 (Guerre civile) -- Biographies.
- Hemingway, Ernest.
- Dos Passos, John.
- Spanischer Bürgerkrieg.