Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
James H Smylie
|Description:||viii, 160 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||1. From the Acts of the Apostles to the Age of the Reformation --
2. The Birth of the Reformed Tradition in Europe --
3. The British Isles: Scotland, England, and Ireland --
4. The First American Presbytery and an "Errand into the Wilderness" --
5. Spiritual Awakening, Leadership, and Reunion --
6. Revolution and Constitutions: Civil and Ecclesiastical --
7. Revivals, Voluntarism, and "Freedom's Ferment" --
8. Continental Challenges and the Irrepressible Conflict --
9. The "Gilded Age" and an "Errand into the World" --
10. From World War I to World War II --
11. From the Flourishing 1950s to the Frustrating 1970s --
12. Reunion, Renewal, and Global Responsibilities.
|Responsibility:||James H. Smylie.|
Presbyterianism such as John Calvin, Francis Makemie, and John Witherspoon are included, as well as a host of others. Smylie provides a fresh look at the uniquely Presbyterian contribution to American history and culture. Contemporary insights from ecumenists, laity, women, and minorities that reflect recent changes in the Presbyterian family are included.