Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
British envoys in Japan, 1859-1972.
Folkestone, Kent : Global Oriental, 2004
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Hugh Cortazzi; Ian Hill Nish; Peter Lowe; J E Hoare; Japan Society (London, England)
|Description:||xii, 352 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||Pt. 1. The early pioneers, 1859-1900. Introduction --
Sir Rutherford Alcock. Minister to Japan, 1859-62 --
Lt. Colonel St. John Neale. Chargé d'Affaires at Edo/Yokohama, 1862-64 --
Alcock returns to Japan, 1864 --
Sir Harry Parkes. Minister to Japan, 1865-83 --
Sir Francis Plunkett. Minister to Japan, 1884-87 --
Hugh Fraser. Minister to Japan, 1889-94 --
Power Henry Le Poer Trench. Minister to Japan, 1894-95 --
Sir Ernest Satow. Minister to Japan, 1895-1900 --
Pt. 2. From the alliance to estrangement, 1900-1941. Introduction --
Sir Claude MacDonald. Minister and first Ambassador to Japan, 1900-12 --
Sir William Conyngham Green. Ambassador to Japan, 1912-19 --
Sir Charles Eliot. Ambassador to Japan, 1919-25 --
Sir John Tilley. Ambassador to Japan, 1926-31 --
Sir Francis Lindley. Ambassador to Japan, 1931-34 --
Sir Robert Clive. Ambassador to Japan, 1934-37 --
Sir Robert Craigie. Ambassador to Japan, 1937-41 --
Pt. 3. The post-war years, 1945-1972. Introduction --
Sir Alvary Gascoigne in Japan, 1946-51 --
Sir Esler Dening. Ambassador to Japan, 1951-57 --
Sir Daniel Lascelles. Ambassador to Japan, 1957-59 --
Sir Oscar Morland. Ambassador to Japan, 1959-63 --
Sir Francis Rundall. Ambassador to Japan, 1963-67 --
Sir John Pilcher. Ambassador to Japan, 1967-72 --
Pt. 4. Scholar diplomats and consuls. Introduction --
Sir Ernest Mason Satow in Japan, 1873-84 --
William George Aston and Japan, 1870-88 --
John Harrington Gubbins. An 'old Japan hand', 1871-1908 --
Sir George Sansom. Pre-eminent diplomat and historian --
Britain's Japan Consular Service, 1859-1941 --
Appendixes: 1. The British bombardment of Kagoshima, 1863. Admiral Sir L. Kuper and Lt. Colonel Neale --
2. The naval and military action at Shimonoseki --
3. Sir Esler Dening's valedictory despatch 24 April 1957 --
4. Record of a conversation on 6 February 1960 between Richard Storry, Geoffrey Hudson and Sir Esler Dening (Head of Uklim and British ambassador to Japan, 1952-57) --
5. Index and biographical details of diplomatic names associated with Japan: A. Biographical details of selected members of the Diplomatic Service and Japan Consular Service who served in Japan 1859-1945 --
B. Ex-Japan Consular Service officers who attained at least counsellor rank in the post-war Foreign (from 1966 Diplomatic) Service --
C. List of Japanese Language Officers who served at Tokyo between 1946 and 1972 and attained senior rank --
D. Officers who served at Tokyo in the rank of Minister or Counsellor between 1945 and 1972 who were neither former members of the Japan Consular Service nor Japanese Language Officers.
|Series Title:||Embassies of Asia series, vol. 1.|
|Responsibility:||compiled and edited by Hugh Cortazzi with Ian Nish, Peter Lowe and J.E. Hoare.|
- Diplomats -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- Japan.
- Great Britain -- Foreign economic relations -- Japan.
- Japan -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.
- Japan -- Foreign economic relations -- Great Britain.
- International economic relations.
- International relations.
- Great Britain.