Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||R A Brock; Robert E Lee; R A Brock; Robert E Lee|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Lee family.; R A Brock; Thomas Brown; William Richardson Davie; Nathanael Greene; John Laurens; Arthur Lee; Francis Lightfoot Lee; George Washington Custis Lee; Henry Lee; Richard Henry Lee; Robert E Lee; William Lee; Otho Holland Williams
|Notes:||Forms part of the collection of Robert Alonzo Brock.|
|Description:||ca. 100 pieces. 2 boxes : 5 oversized folders.|
Correspondence of Richard Henry, William, Francis Lightfoot, and Arthur Lee (1765-1780) discusses political and diplomatic events leading to the American Revolution, including William Lee's accounts of the debates in London, and family and business affairs, including family's tobacco trade, plantations and estates as well as Arthur Lee's European travels.
Correspondence of Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee covers the Continental Army and campaigns and battles of the Revolutionary War, particularly the Southern campaign of Nathanael Greene. Some pieces relate to Henry Lee's service as Governor of Virginia (1793-1795), his work on the Memoirs of the War in the Southern Department of the United States (1812), and his debts. Correspondents include Nathanael Greene, Otho Holland Williams, John Laurens, Thomas Brown, and William Richardson Davie.
Correspondence and documents of Robert E. Lee and his son George Washington Custis Lee deal with their Civil War careers and presidencies of the Washington and Lee University. Also included are materials concerning Lee family history.
- Brock, R. A. -- (Robert Alonzo), -- 1839-1914 -- Archives.
- Lee, Robert E. -- (Robert Edward), -- 1807-1870.
- United States. -- Continental Army.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army.
- Washington and Lee University.
- Tobacco industry -- Virginia -- 18th century.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- London (England) -- Description and travel.
- United States -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 -- Sources.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Sources.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources.
- Virginia -- History -- Sources.
- Brock, R. A. -- (Robert Alonzo), -- 1839-1914.
- Tobacco industry.
- England -- London.
- United States.