Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Oliver Brown|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Dara N Byrne; Juan Williams; Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund.
|Notes:||"Funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation"--T.p. verso.
Cover photograph: "The Trouble We All Live With, by Norman Rockwell."
|Description:||335 p. ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||The ruling that changed America / Juan Williams --
I: Its impact on law --
1. Crumbs from the table of plenty: Brown and the ongoing struggle from educational equity in American schools / Gloria J. Browne-Marshall --
2. Implications of the 1993 Brown III case on Topeka public schools / Judith Lynne McConnell, Blythe Hinitz & Gloria A. Dye --
3. South Carolina: winning the battle over De Jure segregation, losing the war over De Facto segregation / Jackie R. Booker --
4. Brown and gender discrimination / Elizabeth Davenport --
The jurisprudential impact of Brown v. Board of education / Kevin H. Smith --
II: Its impact on historically black colleges and universities --
6. Trapped in the back of the bus: black colleges, the courts and desegregation rulings / Saran Donahoo & Denise O. Green --
7. An examination of the struggle for equity in higher education: litigation in the Ayers v. Fordice case in Mississippi / Andrew Ann Dinkins Lee --
8. The impact of Brown v. Board of education on black colleges: the tragedy of a dream deferred / Amiri Yasin Al-Hadid --
9. The impact of the Brown decision on public HBCUs / Mickey L. Burnim --
10. The Brown decision in local context: race and public education in Norfolk, Virginia / Jeffrey Lynn Littlejohn --
11. Leveling the playing field: the challenge of preparing globally competent African-American college graduates / Roberta J. Wilburn.
|Series Title:||African American Studies.|
|Responsibility:||introduction by Juan Williams ; edited by Dara N. Byrne.|