Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
New York : Schirmer Books ; London : Prentice Hall International, 1997, ©1996
|Named Person:||Anton Bruckner; Anton Bruckner|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0028646266 9780028646268 0198166176 9780198166177|
|Description:||xiii, 158 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations, music ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Childhood in Upper Austria --
2. Years of apprenticeship --
3. Linz --
4. Vienna --
5. Awakened mastery --
6. Growing fame, illness, and death --
7. Bruckner's character --
8. Critics and interpreters --
9. The problem of the revisions --
10. Conception of Mass and symphony --
11. Smaller works and chamber music --
12. The early symphonies in minor keys --
13. Sacred vocal works --
14. The symphonies in minor keys --
15. The Eighth and Ninth Symphonies.
|Series Title:||Master musicians series.|
This particular volume contains a vivid account of Bruckner's struggles and achievements both in his personal life and in his creative career. The later chapters cover each of his works in detail, from the mighty span of the mature symphonies to the smallest of his undeservedly neglected motets. As well, the characteristic features of his art and his strikingly individual conception of mass and symphony are discussed and set alongside the works of his contemporaries.
- Bruckner, Anton, -- 1824-1896.
- Composers -- Austria -- Biography.
- Bruckner, Anton, -- 1824-1896